TWS and FAW Tionesta Old-Growth Footage

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

PAwildernessadvocate

TWS and FAW Tionesta Old-Growth Footage

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:20 pm

In the early spring of 2003, Friends of Allegheny Wilderness and The Wilderness Society set out into the undeveloped backcountry wilds of the Tionesta Research Natural Area old-growth forest in the Allegheny National Forest to capture a variety of video images of this stunning remnant forest that dates to pre-settlement times.

In this recently rediscovered "b-roll" videotape -- now converted into a YouTube clip -- the group explores the East Fork Run drainage of the proposed Tionesta Wilderness Area, walking past ancient Eastern hemlock (Tsuga canadensis) trees that are hundreds of years old and tower more than 100 feet into the sky!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHL6N-nOdfE[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHL6N-nOdfE
Last edited by PAwildernessadvocate on Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

BeeEnvironment2020

Re: TWS and FAW Tionesta Old-Growth Footage

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:00 pm

do you know whether the natural area has been created yet?

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:04 am

The area the video footage was taken was within the Tionesta Research Natural Area, which is a protected old-growth forest. However, the larger proposed wilderness area surrounding the old-growth forest has not been designated. That requires an act of the U.S. Congress.

BeeEnvironment2020

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:10 pm

PAWildernessAdvocate,

Thanks for letting me know. Do you know if the proposed wilderness has yet come to the attention of congress? I have compiled a listings of old-growth forests in PA here on the ENTS (see http://ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=8865), and the Tionesta old growth is currently the largest listing, and probably the largest tract in PA.

-Russ A.

devind

Post by devind » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:10 pm

PAWA,

Cool footage! I've always wanted to visit the Tionesta Natural Area. It's a shame how bad BBD has ravaged that portion of PA.

Devin

BeeEnvironment2020

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:37 pm

Indeed, Tionesta was one of the most wild places I have heard of, left in PA. Since the U.S Forest Service owns it, it has gotten pretty bad treatment, to be honest... PA DCNR should buy it off and make a state park out of it, and it would be much better preserved that way. I think Heart's Content also should be protected the same way.

Russ A.

Return to “North Central PA - PA Wilds”