ARIW - What are these?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

ARIW - What are these?

Post by edfrank » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:43 pm

The ground here is somewhat wet with lots of skunk cabbage. I don't know what these are. They are are on an island in northern Pennsylvania.
DSCN1887a.JPG
DSCN1887a.JPG (64.83 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
DSCN1891a.JPG
DSCN1891a.JPG (58.01 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
DSCN1893a.JPG
DSCN1893a.JPG (60.33 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
Ed

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Steve Galehouse

Re: What are these?

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:53 pm

Ed-

The second pic looks like toothwort, Dentaria, the third is definitely Virginia bluebells, Mertensia, the first looks like toadlily, Tricyrtis, an alien species.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:57 am

Ed,

The first plant is hellebore (Veratrum viride), which is common in seeps or similarly moist areas at relatively cool sites. The toothwort is probably cutleaf toothwort (Cardamine [Dentaria] concatenata), but it could be C. maxima. The bluebells are indicative of rich calcareous soils.

Jess

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:26 pm

Jess-

I agree, the first pic is Veratrum, but it's unfortunate it has the common name of (false) hellebore; true Helleborus are dicots, and are very different in appearance, with palmately compound evergreen leaves.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:29 pm

Steve, Jess,

I have looked up your suggestions and the first is definitely false hellebore, I am happy to go with cutleaf toothwort for the second, and the third I thought was Virginia bluebell, but I wasn't sure at the time I posted the question. Thanks.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “North Central PA - PA Wilds”