Turkey Oak and ID Question

Discussions of Urban Forests and trees in general, including their growth, care, and impact on society. Discussions of specific trees, parks or forests in urban areas should be included in the proper forum of the Trip Reports and Site Descriptin category of this BBS.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jenny

Turkey Oak and ID Question

Post by Jenny » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:11 am

I know the Turkey Oak is not native to North America, but here it is anyway since the spot where the limb hung over The Lake in Central Park was so beautiful.

My question: Is the tree in the third picture a Horse Chestnut? Going to NY Botanical Gardens for native tree MAJOR tree review. There are so many ornamentals in Central Park that I have a hard time with ID, plus I'm even rusty on a lot of the natives.

Thanks, Jenny

DSC00049.JPG
DSC00050.JPG
DSC00061.JPG
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

edfrank

Re: Turkey Oak and ID Question

Post by edfrank » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:14 am

Nice photos. Yes the Turkey Oak in Central Park http://www.centralparknyc.org/visit/tre ... y-oak.html is Quercus cerris. This tree’s natural range is eastern Europe to western China. But so that others are not confused, there is a native oak species Quercus laevis that is also called Turkey Oak, or Turkey Foot Oak. I would say the other was horse chestnut, but I have been wrong before.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Urban Forests, Trees, and Landscapes”