Hurricane Sandy Damage to Trees, Central Park, NYC

Discussions of Urban Forests and trees in general, including their growth, care, and impact on society. Discussions of specific trees, parks or forests in urban areas should be included in the proper forum of the Trip Reports and Site Descriptin category of this BBS.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jenny

Hurricane Sandy Damage to Trees, Central Park, NYC

Post by Jenny » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:08 am

20121107Oaks2-blog480.jpg
20121107Oaks2-blog480.jpg (67.65 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
Finally getting around to posting about the damage to trees in my beloved Central Park. Each article is accompanied by photos, like the one above. I have visited since, and the park reopened quickly and the clean-up has been swift - although the North Woods (area between 103rd and 110th St.) was closed.

http://www.businessinsider.com/look-at- ... rk-2012-10

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/ ... tral-park/

I took the picture below in the Central Park Ramble after the Nor'easter of a sassafras (correct?) tree sagging from the weight of wet snow.

Jenny
DSC06150.JPG
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Rand

Re: Hurricane Sandy Damage to Trees

Post by Rand » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:12 am

Good grief, that looks like the aftermath of a logging operation.

edfrank

Re: Hurricane Sandy Damage to Trees, Central Park, NYC

Post by edfrank » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:31 am

Jenny,

Yes that is sassafras. It looks like the park was really hit hard. Did you take any other photos of the damage similar to those in the articles? (Just askinf because I would like to add some to the next magazine issue.)

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

PAwildernessadvocate

Re: Hurricane Sandy Damage to Trees, Central Park, NYC

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:02 pm

Jenny wrote:
20121107Oaks2-blog480.jpg
Looks like a lot of nice-sized commercially usable logs in those piles if you ask me. I hope some of those will at least be used for something other than mulch. Maybe bring in a little money for the management/clean up of the park or something.

Hey isn't this the baseball field where George Costanza knocked out Bette Midler? Ha ha just kidding!

Click on image to see its original size
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

Return to “Urban Forests, Trees, and Landscapes”