Urban/Suburban Tree Density Reveals Inequality

Discussions of Urban Forests and trees in general, including their growth, care, and impact on society. Discussions of specific trees, parks or forests in urban areas should be included in the proper forum of the Trip Reports and Site Descriptin category of this BBS.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jenny

Urban/Suburban Tree Density Reveals Inequality

Post by Jenny » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:22 am

I think this is not news to anyone; more money in neighborhoods, more trees. At least, more trees that are cared for. But someone posted this on Facebook and I felt compelled to post it. I now have 2 trees on my block so I must be coming up in the world (actually I live on an avenue and not a side street. Avenues have much more traffic. They run up and down NYC, streets run across.)

http://persquaremile.com/2012/05/24/inc ... rom-space/

Jenny

(And can't post anything without congratulating SANTANA and the METS!!!!!!)
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

ElijahW

Re: Urban/Suburban Tree Density Reveals Inequality

Post by ElijahW » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:12 pm

Jenny,

This is an interesting observation. From what I've seen, I would agree with the basic premise. I think a direct relationship commonly exists between the affluence of a neighborhood and the average crown size, girth, and age per tree. In other words, the better the neighborhood, the bigger the average tree. The exception may be trailer parks. I've seen some well-forested ones (at least on the outside borders). Why do you think this tree/money relationship exists? I have a few ideas, but doubt it has much to do with the cost of planting trees; this can be done very inexpensively (or for just the cost of one's own labor, if the needed time and patience is there, and a seed source is nearby). For example, I've planted about 70 or 80 trees within the last five years, and the total out of pocket cost (seedlings, mulch, hand-tools) was probably less than $200. Any thoughts?

As a Yankees fan, I'll begrudgingly give props to Santana and the Mets. The three of four people who actually admit to rooting for the Mets have had to wait a long time for a no-hitter. They should savor this moment for as long as they wish.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:49 am

Elijah,

That's a great observation. I'll have to take special note when passing by suburban trailer parks.

Also, of course, there are the city parks themselves. Central Park with god know how many trees (actually the Parks Dept. knows....), is used by people in all economic brackets if they live in Manhattan. Brooklyn and the Bronx also have a lot of parks, as well as Staten Island. But the poor planning in Queens leaves many "parkless". (Which makes it the easiest place to find a decent apartment....but then, you'd have to live there. We're looking to move and check out apartments in Queens where, in some areas, we can double our space for the same rent, yet, we come back home to our Chelsea, Manhattan apartment and embrace our ever cluttered abode. I can be in Central Park in 20 minutes by train.)

And I'm proud and resigned to being a Mets fan! How could I possibly root for the Evil Empire in the Bronx???

Jenny
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Rand

Post by Rand » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:21 pm

lucager1483 wrote:Jenny,
I have a few ideas, but doubt it has much to do with the cost of planting trees; this can be done very inexpensively (or for just the cost of one's own labor, if the needed time and patience is there, and a seed source is nearby). For example, I've planted about 70 or 80 trees within the last five years, and the total out of pocket cost (seedlings, mulch, hand-tools) was probably less than $200. Any thoughts?
Yeah, I'm a little at a loss about the cost of planting trees. I mean gee, take a walk in september and pick up a few acorns and stick them in the ground..

Return to “Urban Forests, Trees, and Landscapes”