Trying with the trees (with Bach, Bob!)

Discussions of Urban Forests and trees in general, including their growth, care, and impact on society. Discussions of specific trees, parks or forests in urban areas should be included in the proper forum of the Trip Reports and Site Descriptin category of this BBS.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jenny

Trying with the trees (with Bach, Bob!)

Post by Jenny » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:37 pm

Okay, so I'm thinking that I may have more success taking pix of trees if I go a little abstract. Didn't have a tripod and was standing on ice, so videos are a little shaky, but it's okay.

http://vimeo.com/18332614
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

dbhguru

Re: Trying with the trees (with Bach, Bob!)

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:02 am

Jenny,

Sooooper Dooooper! I got up this sunny New Years morn, went dutifully to my computer, logged on, went to the BBS, logged on, and what did my sleepy eyes behold? Your excellent video, set to Bach. Soooper! And Bach's Goldberg variations, at that - one of the compositions that Monica plays. Great way to start the New Year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYBODY, HIC, HIC ......... OOH, MY ACHING HEAD. WHERE'S THAT @#$%^@ COFFEE CUP.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Lee Frelich

Post by Lee Frelich » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:25 am

Jenny:

Great job. You even included my 'friend' the pigeon. Now that my building manager has put pigeon spikes above my deck, I no longer have to call it the poop deck, so I am happier with pigeons than I was a year ago.

Your shakiness wasn't very noticeable, however, any shakiness you may have standing on ice could be cured by spending winter in Minnesota. As you know, all Minnesotans are capable of standing perfectly still on glare ice on a 45 degree slope in a 60 mph wind.

Bob: I hope your recovery from the big party last night continues. You should have done something sensible like I did--I watched the New York Philharmonic New Years Eve concert and then went to bed at 11:00 (it was 12:00 in NYC, and thats what counts). Their new music director Alan Gilbert seems to be just what they needed, at times they sounded almost as good as the Minnesota Orchestra, and that's the first time I could say that in 20 years. Maybe he is inspired to do such a good job because his mother is in the first violin section.

Lee

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:28 pm

Lee,

It was all put on. I stayed sober as a judge. I studied my spherical trigonometry text and Monica read a book by Annie Dillard. We wimped out at around 9:45PM. Neither of us are party types. But, it sounded like your New Years Eve was ideal.

Now, we've got to convince Jenny to do a whole tree concert for us in video. What music would you suggest? Should she do it in Minneapolis or New York?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
Co-founder, National Cadre

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:54 pm

Ha! Thanks Bob and Lee - and I'm SO glad Lee watched through the last frame because that blue bar pigeon WAS especially for him.

I'll put together and "Bach and Bark" concert. I'm sure the NY Phil or Minnesota Symph. would just be THRILLED. Or how about "Der Tree Ring des Nibelungen" or BranChopin?

New Year's was nice and low key for us, but we can lean out the window and see and hear Times Square 20 blocks north. I always wondered who in the world would want to go into such a crowd willingly????

Happy New Year to you and thank you for watching the video. The colors don't come out as well on Vimeo so I gotta figure something else out....

Jenny
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:49 pm

Jenny,

Bach and Bark! Splendid. Sounds like an ENTS first in the design stage. You put that one together, Jenny, and you get a white pine named for you in the ENTS Grove in MTSF to go with your Doug fir in Colorado. Deal? Another tree would move you up into the class of Ents with more than one tree named for them. Lee has 3 trees named for him. Will also has 3. As you might expect, Monica has the most. I think she's up to 7. Let's see, there is:

1. Monica's Pine in the Broad Brook woods
2. Monica's Tuliptree in the Broad Brook woods
3. The Monica Pine in MTSF
4. The Sweetie Pie Pine in MTSF
5. BAABY's Pine in Ander'sRun PA
6. Monica's Hemlock in Cook Forest, PA
7. Monica's Ponderosa in the La Plata's in CO

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President