Hope for Beech?

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Lucas

Hope for Beech?

Post by Lucas » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:39 pm

I saw this tonight in the Atlantic Forestry Review. I was surprised that the resistance beech kills the Beech scale. They also have had some grafting success.

http://zackmetcalfe.com/2018/08/30/rebi ... /#more-161
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

JHarkness

Re: Hope for Beech?

Post by JHarkness » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:03 pm

Interesting article Lucas, though I noticed they had a photo of a yellow birch captioned as American beech... and these are the people who are trying to save the American beech? Personally I think we should be doing a lot more for BBD, people almost always focus on the fungus, but the fungus is native, widespread and extremely difficult to control, why not instead chemically treat beech trees for the beech scale insect? Most dinotefuran insecticides work perfectly for it if applied right. We aren't letting hemlocks die out while identifying trees that are resistant to HWA and EHS and propagating them, why should it be any different for beech trees. I for one think we shouldn't let beech trees become another American chestnut style disaster.
"Be not simply good; be good for something." Henry David Thoreau

Lucas

Re: Hope for Beech?

Post by Lucas » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:08 pm

JHarkness wrote:Interesting article Lucas, though I noticed they had a photo of a yellow birch captioned as American beech... and these are the people who are trying to save the American beech? Personally I think we should be doing a lot more for BBD, people almost always focus on the fungus, but the fungus is native, widespread and extremely difficult to control, why not instead chemically treat beech trees for the beech scale insect? Most dinotefuran insecticides work perfectly for it if applied right. We aren't letting hemlocks die out while identifying trees that are resistant to HWA and EHS and propagating them, why should it be any different for beech trees. I for one think we shouldn't let beech trees become another American chestnut style disaster.

Click on image to see its original size

Yes, I saw the birch and thought once again

Click on image to see its original size
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Return to “General Discussions”