American Forests Position

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

American Forests Position

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi All,

Lea Sloan, VP for Communications for American Forests asked me to post this announcement of a job offering. Please see the following.

https://www.americanforests.org/employm ... n-manager/

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: American Forests Position

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:39 am

Hi Bob- I saw this on Facebook the other day. Perhaps in the future I could get more involved with AF and help turn the tide on some issues. It seems to be a great organization but lacks continuity. Hope I'm not being to negative for I still am on board for AF anytime they need. I understand they have funding issues like many state Champion Tree Programs. I would hope all these new faces will get the Champion Program back on there feet. Larry

dbhguru

Re: American Forests Position

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:01 pm

Larry, et. al.,

Yes, as you recognize, these are somewhat difficult times for American Forests. I think they are searching for a new identity that speaks to the interests of more Americans. They seem to have settled on developing a strong wildlife connection. Not sure where it will go because lots of other organizations have been advocating for different species and wildlife in general for a very long time. Why should people suddenly divert their contributions to AF for wildlife projects? May be a tough sell.

The champion tree program is limping along, not quite on life support, but still unfunded. This situation is not likely to change within the year. So, at present, Don and I are basically inactive in terms of developing/pushing AF projects and agendas. It all bodes poorly for those wanting to see us handle multi-stem trees better in the competitions. Don and I had been pushing the concept of functional circumference. Maybe we'll catch fire and renew our push for it in the coming months.

The above AF doldrums may end, but for now, I, for one, have other priorities. The biggest is working with Harvard Forest and maybe Woods Hole on developing better ground-truthing methods for measuring carbon sequestration in standing trees. My part involves a mountain of tree-measuring work using laser and monocular. Jared Lockwood will be my primary partner, and because of his youth and mobility, likely to be the more important of the two of us. Ray Asselin has a role too. He has promised to act as our minstrel, shaking the tambourine and chanting our accomplishments- Monty Python- style. The project will put all our NTS skills to work, and allow Ray to develop a singing voice. He's promised a Youtube concert in the forest. He'll simultaneously sing and film himself while filming us. Gonna be something to see. Oh yes, and Ray furnishes the ice cream at day's end. He drew the short straw (actually, they were all short, but don't tell him that.)

On other efforts, Ray Asselin and I will be showing Ray's old-growth film at Harvard Forest on July 10th. The event promises to be well attended. Harvard Forest is the best setting. There are challenges developing, though. They involve would-be hijackers who would turn a benign message about old growth forests and their rarity in New England into a Massachusetts forestry bitch and name-calling session. Now who might be tempted to do something like that? Hmmm. Ghosts of Christmas past? I'm probably worrying about nothing.

I'll try to be more punctual and report on these goings-on in the future.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “General Discussions”