Bad Storm Yesterday in Northeast

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ryandallas

Bad Storm Yesterday in Northeast

Post by ryandallas » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:54 pm

How did everyone's trees hold up?

Our paperbark maple, styrax, dogwoods, franklinia and arborvitaes were especially hard hit. Amazingly, only one arborvitae was seriously damaged. The paperbark maple and styrax lost one little branch each.

Unfortunately, our neighbor's apple tree lost about a third of its crown.

John Harvey

Re: Bad Storm Yesterday in Northeast

Post by John Harvey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:36 am

Lots of big trees went down or so I hear including some special oaks like the Great Granny Oak in NY.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:35 pm

When you get a chance could you post a photo of a Franklinia tree? I have seen them only from photographs in books. Larry

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:14 pm

John,

Is this the tree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnO0Z7iJG6Y

Oh man, it was already in bad shape five years ago. I hope it's alright.

Larry,

They don't look too special at this time of year (although they do have interesting bark, kind of like striped maple bark). How about I take a photo for you when it's flowering?

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:46 am

Aside from something severe like a tornado, I've never worried much about trees. A well-pruned tree should hold up to very strong winds. i view storms as a weeding tool. They remove weakness and often what storms remove may as well go now rather than later. Storms often leave the best and the strongest.
M. D. Vaden of Oregon = http://www.mdvaden.com

200 Pages - Coast Redwoods - http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Portraits & Weddings - http://www.vadenphotography.com

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:18 am

This was an extraordinary weather event, in my area northwest and west of Boston there is extensive tree damage around houses and in the woods. Majority of limb or total failures are trees with existing problems like heart rot, codominant leader structure etc. Conifers are a different story, large healthy white pine limbs snapped off in many trees, also white pine growing in swampy areas uprooted. With snow weight that heavy even a healthy tree can be provoked to some kind of failure. I stepped outside during the storm and was immediately hit by a limb falling out of a large red pine, I heard it break, dove to the ground and covered my head, got away with minor bruising. The red pine is very healthy, does not need pruning, the snow weight was just too much for a big healthy limb. When nature wants to prune even the best human efforts cannot prevent it. This was not as bad as the "October surprise" snow storm that took the entire state of Connecticut and most of Massachusetts out for 7 days a few years ago. The tree failures for that event were very different, leaves were on the trees when the snow fell, the affected forests looked like a helicopter had flown upside down through the upper canopy.
-AJ

gnmcmartin

Post by gnmcmartin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Mario:

It is not only tornados, and, of course, hurricanes, that can destroy very healthy and beautiful trees here in the eastern US. Super Storm Sandy destroyed all kinds of healthy trees at my timberland in the MD mountains. There was three feet of heavy, wet, sticky snow blown by strong winds. About 25% of my Norway spruce trees were broken off about halfway up. In some places 6 or 8 together went. About 80% of my larch trees were destroyed because the storm came when they still had their needles on. 100% of the white spruce were destroyed--about 2 acres. This heavy wet sticky snow's weight was just too much for these beautiful, healthy trees, especially when combined with the wind.

Super Storm Sandy did not destroy the hardwood trees that had lost their leaves, but the the younger beech trees were caught, and were all broken. I have seen ice storms in some areas where virtually every tree, hardwoods and conifers, had all their branches stripped off, and the trunk broken one half or two thirds of the way up. Nothing but stubby "poles left."

I assume you don't have storms like these out where you are--lucky you and lucky trees. Here there is a threat every winter that a bad storm could destroy just about any tree--or whole forest.

As for just winds, we have "microbursts" occasionally. One went through one of my pine groves a few years ago and broke off every tree in the, luckily, rather limited area. Maybe 6 or 8 trees "went."

Of course, all this is on top of all the insect and fungal "plagues" that destroy entire species of trees. And we have a new "threat," the spotted lantern fly. Authorities in PA suggest this could be devastating, but in MD the idea is that it won't be quite so bad. It is new, and was recognized something like 4 years ago here. We will have to see in the next few years just what this new potential plague will mean.

Tree lovers here in the NE feel like we are always under attack!

--Gaines

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:17 pm

AndrewJoslin wrote:This was an extraordinary weather event, in my area northwest and west of Boston there is extensive tree damage around houses and in the woods. Majority of limb or total failures are trees with existing problems like heart rot, codominant leader structure etc. Conifers are a different story, large healthy white pine limbs snapped off in many trees, also white pine growing in swampy areas uprooted. With snow weight that heavy even a healthy tree can be provoked to some kind of failure. I stepped outside during the storm and was immediately hit by a limb falling out of a large red pine, I heard it break, dove to the ground and covered my head, got away with minor bruising. The red pine is very healthy, does not need pruning, the snow weight was just too much for a big healthy limb. When nature wants to prune even the best human efforts cannot prevent it. This was not as bad as the "October surprise" snow storm that took the entire state of Connecticut and most of Massachusetts out for 7 days a few years ago. The tree failures for that event were very different, leaves were on the trees when the snow fell, the affected forests looked like a helicopter had flown upside down through the upper canopy.
-AJ
I talked with a guy in Sudbury and he said the trees were down all over the place. Is true it was just snow load and no wind like he said? How much snow was on the trees?

We has the same conditions a couple of nights ago much got no wind and no breakage.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Bob4st

Post by Bob4st » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:29 pm

Although not as bad as the beating folks further east and south, the central New York State region experienced a couple of damaging heavy snow falls over the past several days...last week's storm appeared to have caused the most damage for us...
The tree the tempest with a crash of wood Throws down in front of us is not to bar Our passage to our journey's end for good, But just to ask us who we think we are. (R. Frost)

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:33 am

Lucas wrote:I talked with a guy in Sudbury and he said the trees were down all over the place. Is true it was just snow load and no wind like he said? How much snow was on the trees?

We has the same conditions a couple of nights ago much got no wind and no breakage.
That is correct, we had a period of wind but it wasn't severe, the snow load was extreme, more wind might have helped blow the snow off the trees. Right now as I'm watching this current storm progress in Carlisle, MA, snow is accumulating on the trees but the winds are taking some of it off. Certainly high winds and heavy wet snow is the worst case scenario, they're experiencing that right now on the coast south of Boston, several towns have 50% of homes with no power and there's a bit more to go before it's over.
-AJ

Return to “General Discussions”