Cook Pines Lean to the Equator

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

RayA

Cook Pines Lean to the Equator

Post by RayA » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:23 am

Came across an interesting phenomenon I hadn't heard of before... Cook Pines (Araucaria columnaris) planted outside their native range (New Caledonia) nearly always lean toward the equator for some reason, sometimes at great angles, but typically around 8 degrees. In the northern hemisphere, they lean to the south, but in the southern hemisphere, they lean north.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-strang ... he-equator

But that's not that peculiar, I guess... on the coasts, people lean left, but lean right in the fly-over states. Hmmm.

dbhguru

Re: Cook Pines Lean to the Equator

Post by dbhguru » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:25 pm

Ray,

We have a Cook Pine in Monica's music room. It was sold to her as a Norfolk Island Pine, but is a Cook Pine. I measured lots of them when in Hawaii in 2012. Impressive species. Not sure I was aware of a dominant nod toward the equator though. Looks like Monica and I will have to return for me to check them out. It'll be my punishment.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

RayA

Post by RayA » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Hmmm... with her being a musician, I'm a little surprised she doesn't have a "pitch" pine in the music room. The Cook's pine, obviously, should be in the kitchen.

Just a thought.

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:38 pm

If this Cook Pine in Monica's music room is growing in a pot, I wonder if you could produce a straight-vertical cook pine by rotating the pot 180 degrees once a day. Further, if it were rotated 90 degrees once every several months or so, could you produce a Cook Pine with a spiraling trunk?

Return to “General Discussions”