Norway spruce cones

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

PAwildernessadvocate

Re: Norway spruce cones

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:32 pm

Still on the subject of Norway spruce, though this doesn't have to do with the cones.

This year a young Norway spruce growing in my yard did not produce a new leader for whatever reason. The leader bud just never grew. So a few weeks ago I cut off all but one of the new side whorl branches, figuring the one I left would eventually develop into the new leader. I was encouraged to see that the remaining branch started to turn upward in the days and weeks that followed, confident that it would eventually make a decent leader, but thinking that I might have to intervene at some point and tie a light wooden dowel or something in place to completely straighten it out.

But today I looked at it, and was pleased to see that it is perfectly straight up and down now. It straightened out all by itself and I didn't have to lift a finger to help "fix" it. Just thought it was pretty cool how fast it happened.
NorwaySpruce7417b.jpg
NorwaySpruce7417.jpg
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

Return to “General Discussions”