5 New Potential Champs - but Zero Nominated

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

MarkGraham

Re: 5 New Potential Champs - but Zero Nominated

Post by MarkGraham » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:03 pm

Thanks Mario for bringing this issue up and for your work in helping redefine the maximum sizes various tree species can attain, especially the coast redwood.

For the giant sequoia, I think the list of the largest is pretty complete as the trees are less numerous and are in more open settings.

For the coast redwood it is very different. The coast redwood forest is markedly under surveyed for volume. How do we know this? Well, look at where the largest known redwoods are. They are almost all near trails. Which Park has the most extensive trails - Prairie Creek. Which park has the highest number of trees from the largest trees list - Prairie Creek. What is the difference between Prairie Creek and the groves of Redwood National Park - nothing, other than Prairie Creek has many more trails, thus many more identified large redwoods.

Look at the spread from number one to number 25 for the tallest versus the largest redwoods. The 25th tallest redwood is 96% as tall as the tallest. But the 25th largest redwood is only about 62% as large as the largest. Why so much more space in the distribution of the largest redwoods? The answer is because many large ones have not been found. The laser rangefinder and aerial LiDAR have made complete height surveys of the forest possible. But a volume survey? Impossible, it is a matter of picking and choosing big trees and doing at minimum a cross sectional study and at maximum a full blown branches and stems study. Very time consuming and sometimes destructive sampling is required.

I am all for non destructive measurement of trees, for height, diameter, crown width, and volume. Technology is starting to help more and more. Newer technology such as quad copter imagery of trunk cross sections can be used for a faster and less destructive survey of an area. This would help to create a more complete survey of the largest redwoods. It would be very exciting news if a living and growing redwood has more volume than General Sherman, and that would help attract park visitors. If such a tree is found, I would recommend a trail, fencing, and a sign. This would increase park visits and also tree trophy hunters (like me) will have less incentive to go off trail finding trees. In other words, do the opposite of what was done for Hyperion.

mdvaden

Re: 5 New Potential Champs - but Zero Nominated

Post by mdvaden » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:52 pm

MarkGraham wrote: This would help to create a more complete survey of the largest redwoods. It would be very exciting news if a living and growing redwood has more volume than General Sherman, and that would help attract park visitors. If such a tree is found, I would recommend a trail, fencing, and a sign. This would increase park visits and also tree trophy hunters (like me) will have less incentive to go off trail finding trees. In other words, do the opposite of what was done for Hyperion.
The parks don't encourage bushwhacking, but they don't seem to mind it as long as its not concentrated. Redwood National Park is less uptight than the state redwood parks and the two don't seems to share identical policy.

The future of redwood discovery and redwood management will have some unique twists to it. The parks don't know all the new discoveries. Just some found while a permit was active for part of 2014 and 2015. Its a fact that surveillance cameras have been placed in the coast redwood forest to record people. And that might seems awkward now to a few folks who are concerned about being "watched" but not knowing exactly by which redwoods cameras are located and where the cameras are placed. I think the installation of cameras may weigh on the minds of people who don't want their presence known. So far, I haven't heard word much word of anybody getting fined for bushwhacking, but on the other hand, damage probably could not be proven. If breakage or dislodging of vegetation was captured on camera, maybe the parks will issue fines.

They have issued citations over some over things fairly small.

LINK >> http://www.triplicate.com/csp/mediapool ... 23&fid=151

The end of the article covers the citation. There's plenty of citations issued each year. Hardly any are written about or put into the public eye. But if cameras recorded breakage around redwoods, it could be a game changer.
M. D. Vaden of Oregon = http://www.mdvaden.com

200 Pages - Coast Redwoods - http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Portraits & Weddings - http://www.vadenphotography.com

Return to “General Discussions”