oak seed

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Lucas

oak seed

Post by Lucas » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:07 am

Out of curiosity does anyone trade seed here?

I have been looking for northern Swamp chestnut oak seed for a while.

I figure the members here are more likely to know what one is and its attributes.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Rand

Re: oak seed

Post by Rand » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:11 pm

There are two sites where they have been planted in the columbus area (Inniswood Metropark & Dawes Arboretum). There are about a dozen planted in Dawes Arboretum, making up a alley, along with a bunch of overlap oaks. They seem to do fine with the climate so I'm not sure how fussy you need to be with where you get the acorns.
SWO 1.jpg
SWO 2.jpg
Unfortunately, I seem to have threaded the too early/too late divide quite nicely and the squirrels beat me to them this year. I found nothing but empty acorn caps. I did plant one two years ago and it did grow.

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:49 pm

Rand wrote:Unfortunately, I seem to have threaded the too early/too late divide quite nicely and the squirrels beat me to them this year. I found nothing but empty acorn caps. I did plant one two years ago and it did grow.
I am late in asking too. I will keep it mind for next year.

Do those trees ever get the crimson red fall color?

BTW the pix file names say SWO not SCO.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Rand

Post by Rand » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:47 pm

The one I saw last week was just starting to get a deep maroon color. I haven't been around them when in full fall flush.

Sorry about the typo. I was in a hurry with my photo export.

Return to “General Discussions”