Congaree wins

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Lucas

Congaree wins

Post by Lucas » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:40 pm

We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Rand

Re: Congaree wins

Post by Rand » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:25 pm

Philistines....

...with a sense of humor...;)

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:50 pm

I'm so glad to have a list of parks where I can expect to avoid conversations with fox news fans.

Come to think of it, the only strangers I met in the badlands were bison, musical coyotes and beautiful junipers. Great place, really. It's a solid list.

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:48 am

Congaree won the "Worst Park" designation in a different poll recently as well. That writer complained of snakes and trees...those pesky trees.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:31 pm

Awesome- Another place where I can get away from the rat race- I hope it stays the worst park forever!! Maybe we can make a new National Park in the Ms Swamps to give Congaree some competition for last- lol Larry

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Well it is Fox News. Idiots are attracted to it.

I'm going to spend one night at the campground in Badlands National Park on my way to Glacier National Park. The campground there is free. Yes, free. They say bison roam through it.

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:40 pm

James- if you're referring to the sage creek campground, you are in for a treat. When I stayed there last summer the Bison did not roam through the site, but a friend who camped there the year before told me later of brewing up coffee outside his tent in the morning with a crowd of bison no more than 30 feet away. I did, however, sleep out in the open on one of the hilltops above the campground, and woke in the pre-dawn dark to the eerie sounds of two groups of coyotes serenading each other from the valleys on either side of the hill. They were close enough to watch vague dark shapes racing around in the grass below. It was incredible. In the morning I went up the trail to investigate some appealing patches of juniper and found bison hair tangled in low broken branches where they must have been scratching themselves. A short ways further up I noticed a dark juniper a short ways off seeming to move- it turned out to be a bison! We stood on opposite sides of the hilltop just watching each other for a while, in a morning fog that seemed unusual for such a dry environment.
Attachments
The view from the hill above the campground; the light below is my friend photographing argiopes in the tall grass. The light coming through the clouds is the moon.
The view from the hill above the campground; the light below is my friend photographing argiopes in the tall grass. The light coming through the clouds is the moon.
The bison I met in the morning
The bison I met in the morning

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Click on image to see its original size

NICE GRAPHIC

https://blueridgeimpressions.wordpress. ... onal-park/

More on the site

BTW the site has the best pix I have seen of the Smokies, etc. Gorgeous country.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Return to “General Discussions”