Increment Borers

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

RayA

Increment Borers

Post by RayA » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:58 am

Does anyone have recommendations on increment borers (what brand to buy, or not buy)? I read some older info that indicated Haglof borers were giving owners a lot of grief a while back, after some design changes had been made (a lot of broken bits; extractors not removing cores well, etc). Have these problems been corrected? Any comparisons between brands? Would you suggest 2-thread or 3-thread borers for hardwood use?

DwainSchroeder

Re: Increment Borers

Post by DwainSchroeder » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:03 pm

I have a Suunto brand borer (made in Finland) which I bought maybe 25 years ago from Forestry Suppliers Company. I don't know if this brand is still made. I only used it maybe ten times, and it seemed to work fine, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Mine is a two thread which I believe has the slower engagement rate which is better for hardwoods. I suppose the advantage of a fast engagement rate in soft woods would be that it would drill in faster and quicker, but I never planned to use it very often so speed was not an issue.

Dwain

RayA

Post by RayA » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:57 am

I don't think Suunto's are being made anymore.

DwainSchroeder

Post by DwainSchroeder » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:17 pm

Yes, I don't see the Suunto brand in Forestry Suppliers online catalog so maybe they have gone away.

You talked about borers breaking and I know that's an issue, although I fortunately do not have any direct experience with it. An increment borer is a work of art and in my mind an engineering marvel. The stresses on that thin tube have to be extremely high, and the borers have to be very well made. When I used mine on hard wood I thought it would have to snap considering the high torque that was needed to turn it. You certainly want to avoid knots or any area of irregularity in the surface of the tree. You want to operate the borer is a smooth fashion with nice balanced torque from your two hands; no quick moves or jerking. Once you start don't let the borer set around in the wood too long, or it may get locked in somewhat and take a lot more force to start turning again (my theory only). Good luck.

Return to “General Discussions”