A comeback in Iceland

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Lucas

A comeback in Iceland

Post by Lucas » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:03 pm

http://www.newsweek.com/iceland-only-co ... 1415032895

They tried to plant Am chestnuts there, once. They should try again.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

jamesrobertsmith

Re: A comeback in Iceland

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:25 pm

Would be interesting to see what would happen.

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:38 am

Global warming won't be terrible for everyone- unless it triggers major wars. I suspect the Greenlanders aren't terribly fearful of global warming or people living in Siberia. Global warming will/is happening and the Earth and the human race will survive and "move on"- no pun intended.
Joe

Rand

Post by Rand » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:07 pm

I little promotional video about reforestation in iceland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRNdbqXu1I

Don

Post by Don » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:18 am

Great youtube presentation Rand. I traveled to Iceland several years ago, and saw few forests in traversing the west half of the island. It's my understanding that the Iceland government is eager to reforest, especially of late, and from the youtube presentation, I think they're on the right track.
You might have noticed fields of lupine in several of the overflights...they were introduced, and are doing well, too well for some. It was thought that the lupine, being a legume, would help fixing nitrogen, and contribute to soil enrichment and stability. I'm not sure they're happy with the bargain.
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:57 am

Very nice video. It shows Scandinavian common sense. They'll grow trees but manage the forests- eventually allowing harvesting trees too. Unfortunately, here in America there are people who don't want trees to be cut.
Joe

Rand

Post by Rand » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:01 pm

You might have noticed fields of lupine in several of the overflights...they were introduced, and are doing well, too well for some. It was thought that the lupine, being a legume, would help fixing nitrogen, and contribute to soil enrichment and stability. I'm not sure they're happy with the bargain.
Kinda of begs the question of at what point is an ecosystem so damaged it makes sense to introduce new species. Easter Island being a famous reference point.

Don

Post by Don » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:36 pm

Joe wrote:Very nice video. It shows Scandinavian common sense. They'll grow trees but manage the forests- eventually allowing harvesting trees too. Unfortunately, here in America there are people who don't want trees to be cut.
Joe
Joe...I see it as a test of their sense of sustainability. If like a patient in a hospital, if what goes in equals what goes out, and the patient improves as his ecosystem heals, the end result is a healthy ecosystem. That should be the primary objective of Icelandic reforestation. Their land has gone centuries without significant ground cover, and the soil layer too often is downwind...productivity issues can come later...Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:03 am

Joe,

I don't think you have much to worry about in terms of some extreme faction within the country stopping the cutting of trees. Obviously, that is not going to happen. We all use wood products and the majority of our woodlands will continue to be managed (and many,mismanaged).

Of more concern to me is the lack of progress on establishing a scientifically defensible balance between managed and unmanaged forest across the landscape, so that we're not always dealing with battles driven by the extremes.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Rand

Post by Rand » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:46 pm

dbhguru wrote:Joe,
Of more concern to me is the lack of progress on establishing a scientifically defensible balance between managed and unmanaged forest across the landscape, so that we're not always dealing with battles driven by the extremes.
Bob
I think about that a lot as I go through the minuscule scraps of Old Growth here in Ohio. You can see all big, early successional species like Oaks and Tuliptrees slowly dieing out, leaving a mess of maples to take over. You wonder whats going to be left in another century. Meanwhile, everywhere else seems allergic to trees over 2' dbh. It'd be nice if there was some sort of middle ground.

Return to “General Discussions”