Things only a big tree hunter can understand...

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

John Harvey

Things only a big tree hunter can understand...

Post by John Harvey » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:25 pm

Things only a big tree hunter/lover can understand:

Using the breeze to help you find the tallest swaying branch in the canopy to hit with the laser

Looking forward to winter so you can see through the forest for the large ones

Thinking to your self, “Na that's just a big multistem.”

Driving the long way just in case there's one you've missed

Planning vacations around the locations of old growth forest

Taking note of big branches from far away when the trunk is obscured

Anyone with me here? Anyone have something to add?
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Rand

Re: Things only a big tree hunter can understand...

Post by Rand » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:56 pm

Snickering quietly to yourself as casual visitors misidentify/misrepresent the age of trees around you?

For example. At my college there was a fat willow tree. A big squatty fusion of multiple stems that was perhaps, 6' dia at the base that someone casually mentioned was 'probably 2-300 years old'. However if you walked up to it, there was a pruned branch stub 5' off the ground with 1/2"-3/4" rings on it, so there was no way it was all that old (besides being a willow)

tclikesbigtrees

Post by tclikesbigtrees » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:38 pm

Whenever my family and I go anywhere, whether it is just to north Jersey or out of state, I look to see what big trees there might be along the way that I might want to see. My wife gets a little tired of it, but that might be the only way that I would be able to see most of them. I know that she would not want me to make special trips just to see trees all over the eastern seaboard, so it makes a lot of sense to try to see some along the way. Also almost whenever I drive anywhere, I look around as I am driving to see if I can see any big trees around.

Tom

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:48 pm

I'm with Tom:

Your significant other swears that you'll get in a car accident someday because you were frantically scanning every tree you passed on an unfamiliar road, seeking stems of exceptional girth.

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:18 am

This is funny guys. My wife is the same way. She keeps telling me I'm going to crash because of not keeping my eyes on the road. I also look ahead for trees on every trip I take. Recently that's how I found Alan Seegar Natural Area in PA. What a gem that was. Here my wife grew up 2 miles away from it and never had been thee or heard of it.

Rand, Its no wonder there have been so many exaggerated stories throughout history about 10000 year old trees and 500ft tall. It seems like the less informed still throw out these kind of numbers. I caught someone telling someone else that the redwoods they were looking at were 1000ft tall, the other person didn't bat an eye. I had to correct them of course.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:17 am

Big tree hunters learn to shun the ridge tops where others see "huge" trees from a distance.

pattyjenkins1

Post by pattyjenkins1 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:09 am

JDJ and others:

"Driving the long way just in case there's one you've missed"
"Planning vacations around the locations of old growth forest"

Us birders understand everything you've said, only with a different "quarry"!

psj
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:07 am

"Dude, where's my clinometer?"

The highlight of your Disney World vacation is imagining The Tree of Life is real.

Cemeteries are exciting.

tclikesbigtrees

Post by tclikesbigtrees » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:24 pm

The Tree of Life at Walt Disney World, I love that tree. It would be something if it were real. Yes, cemeteries are exciting.

Tom

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:49 pm

Being disappointed the four foot diameter maple on your property bought in winter is a red maple, not a Carolina red maple (A. trilobum)...

Will

Return to “General Discussions”