Door to Door tree hunting?

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Climbatree813

Door to Door tree hunting?

Post by Climbatree813 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:52 pm

Just curious. Have any of you had bad enough big tree envy that you knocked on someones door to ask for permission to measure a tree in their backyard? This is probably easier for the city or state forestry people who can say they are doing a survey, but nonetheless. How does one go about explaining to someone why they want to measure a tree in their backyard?

Just curious to hear anyone else's thoughts. Three times now I have seen a tree I really wanted to measure but couldn't think of the right things to say if I rang a doorbell.

John Harvey

Re: Door to Door tree hunting?

Post by John Harvey » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:03 pm

I have done this at least 30 times. Mostly when I'm in New Jersey because the state has people everywhere. Every inch of land is owned and posted. I have a paper I hand out with an explanation and this site, among others listed at the bottom. Most people are cool about it but I have encountered total jerks wanting money, calling me weird, and suspecting me of scouting their home for a robbery. Of course this has only happened in Jersey where half the people are flat out ignorant anyway. My suggestion is to print a paper and act enthusiastic, most people are proud that their tree is getting recognition.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:44 am

I have done this on numerous occasions mostly with Live Oaks. People I believe enjoy knowing what we are doing and say "how old large is the tree", trees on their property. In Wisconsin back in 09 my friend brought me to Bayfield to see the large Chestnut in town. While at a small store nearby I spied two large Cottonwoods across the street. I went over knocked on the Door and the owner was eager to have me measure them.
Cottonwoods+1.jpg
They were both 19' + - a few inches in CBH, Height 114' and Spread on one 105' x 72'. They were the largest Cottonwoods I'd ever seen. Larry

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:55 am

I have done it many times, but as an Arborist I am used to being in people's yards regularly so it feels natural. So far no one here in WNC has refused, and most are very interested.

Will

sungirlblue

Post by sungirlblue » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:00 pm

HA!! i have been obsessed with this tree i pass each day on the way to and from work. gazing longingly as i pass. i always look for someone to be in the yard. apparently 8am, and 4:45pm are not ever when they are out.
i haven't had the nerve to stop and knock. but certainly odds are in my favor...it's been a few months, so i am thinking eventually they will be out :)
it's fun to know that you all have thought the same thing! i will be sure to post measurements and a photo if it happens. no matter what, i love that i get to see it everyday ~
the trees, they dance. i love to watch ~

Return to “General Discussions”