Hemlock Death Toll Approx. #?

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jenny

Hemlock Death Toll Approx. #?

Post by Jenny » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:45 am

HI HI HI!

Too long since my appearance!

So, I posted one of my favorite Robert Frost poems from 1923 on Facebook and realized that the 2 main "protagonists" were in terrible terrible jeopardy in parts of the US! The American Crow in the New York City and Maryland Area dues to a terrible outbreak of West Nile Virus beginning in 1999 killing hundreds of thousands of the birds (rebound still uncertain) AND the Hemlock trees!!! In order to be more emphatic about these epidemics, I wondered if you had approximate numbers or numbers of trees killed per certain areas within certain time frames? I'm sure the answer is within the site, but I was impatient. Reposting my pic from a few years ago of the once thriving Hemlocks of New York Botanical Gardens in the Bronx and the current horror. There's new management, I wonder if they've been removed yet? I haven't been out lately. Hopefully more later. Baby bird season BETTER be coming to an end because, as my as I love the little beasts, I am beyond burned out.... And I posted a blurry pic of my latest baby pigeon.....they NEVER SOP BREEDING!

Jenny

Dust of snow:

The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.
3088_71622502748_7451630_n.jpg
3088_70995177748_8065987_n.jpg
get-attachment.aspx.jpeg
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Larry Tucei

Re: Hemlock Death Toll Approx. #?

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:18 pm

Hi Jenny- Good to see you back on. I would guess in the 10's of thousands perhaps as much as 50% or more. I'm sure someone will chime in that can answer you in more depth. Here is something for you. I have three Hawks that are from a nesting pair in a Darlington Oak in my backyard. I have watched them grow since Spring.
Hawks.jpg
This is them on the fence last week.
Hawk.jpg
I see them less and less as they mature. Hope you enjoy. Larry

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:32 am

Hemlock death is certainly in the tens of millions, perhaps over a hundred million. I'm pulling those figures out of thin air but I've noticed some small areas with many thousands of dead hemlocks. I still do come across reasonably healthy, untreated tracts but those are rare in the Southern Appalachians. Virginia has near total depletion, NC likely 90% dead.

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:48 am

That's quite a motivation to get out an appreciate the beautiful hemlocks left here in my area while they're still pretty much untouched. Every time I contemplate a younger hemlock, the sensation is bittersweet- before it's likelihood of attaining great height and old-growth form may have been slim, but now such a possibility has pretty much disappeared...

Return to “General Discussions”