Cypress Knees

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Cypress Knees

Post by edfrank » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Passing this on as something interesting
podocopina@yahoo.com via listserv.umd.edu

to ECOLOG-L

I've been comparing some of my current photos of cypress lagoons with shots I took ten or fifteen years ago, in the same lagoons and of the same trees. Comparing a few individual cypress knees, I've made a very rough estimate of 1-2 inches of growth over about ten years. Given that some of these knees are three or four feet above the substrate, that suggests an impressive age.

However, I've also been watching a couple of new knees (kneelets?) which have grown 1-2 inches in just the past year, so clearly it's not quite linear. Can anyone suggest any research or references on the rates of growth in cypress knees? If you can, please contact me off-list, and I'll post a compilation of responses. Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help, either with direct observations or good citations.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “General Discussions”