Black walnut?

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

pdbrandt

Black walnut?

Post by pdbrandt » Mon May 13, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi NTSers,

Does this look like a black walnut to you?
image.jpg
image.jpg
The tree form and the bark look lighter than most black walnuts I've seen. In the winter it actually looks a lot like a white oak. Other black walnuts in the same park leafed out earlier and are at least 2 weeks ahead of this tree. Are there different varieties of black walnut, or do I have the wrong ID on this tree? The tree is located in the piedmont of North Carolina and the picture was taken on Mother's Day (yesterday).

Thanks for your help!
Patrick
Patrick

Will Blozan

Re: Black walnut?

Post by Will Blozan » Mon May 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Patrick,

Pecan or hican?

Will

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Wed May 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks, Will. I went back today and I believe it is a pecan tree. There are both pecan remnants and black walnut remnants at the base of the tree, but the black walnut remnants aren't too surprising because there are many black walnut trees nearby in the park. I guess I'll know for sure what kind of nut tree it is later in the year.

Thanks.

Patrick
Patrick

Rand

Post by Rand » Wed May 15, 2013 7:58 pm

I was surprised by a pecan in Northwest Ohio once (It's outside the natural range). I wondered what sort of odd hickory it was until I saw the nuts. Lucky for me it was fall.

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Sun May 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Patrick,

You can also check by slicing a twig lengthwise. Pecans (hickories) have solid pith, but the pith in walnuts is chambered.

Jess

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Thu May 30, 2013 6:24 pm

Jess Riddle wrote:Patrick,

You can also check by slicing a twig lengthwise. Pecans (hickories) have solid pith, but the pith in walnuts is chambered.

Jess
Brilliant! Pecan it is. Here's a picture of a black walnut twig (right) and a twig from the unknown - until now - tree (left).
image.jpg
The pecan tree is in River park in Hillsborough, NC along the Eno River. A 140 foot+ tall tulip poplar I have reported on previously (http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f ... =10#p20765) stands on the other side of the river. The park is full of much smaller black walnut and pecan trees. Here's a link to a 360 degree panorama of the beauty (http://photosynth.net/view/7956c257-8dd ... e605d19a7f). This pecan is 115.0 feet tall.
image.jpg
Patrick

Return to “General Discussions”