Jane Goodall and trees

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Jane Goodall and trees

Post by edfrank » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:34 pm

Jane Goodall Reveals Her Lifelong Fascination With…Plants?
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n ... 36911.html
The-Roots-of-a-Naturalist-631.jpg
From my window, as I write in my house in Bournemouth, England, I can see the trees I used to climb as a child. Up in the branches of one of them, a beech tree, I would read about Doctor Dolittle and Tarzan, and dream about the time when I, too, would live in the forest. I spent hours in that tree, perched in my special place. I had a little basket on the end of a long piece of string that was tied to my branch: I would load it before I climbed, then haul up the contents—a book, a saved piece of cake, sometimes my homework. I talked to “Beech,” telling him my secrets. I often placed my hands or my cheek against the slightly rough texture of his bark. And how I loved the sound of his leaves in summertime: the gentle whispering as the breeze played with them, the joyous abandoned dancing and rustling as the breeze quickened, and the wild tossing and swishing sounds, for which I have no words, when the wind was strong and the branches swayed. And I was part of it all.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n ... z2PKfdT34f
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Jane Goodall and trees

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:43 pm

Well, she is a truly great a clever person. No doubt that she would love plants.

Return to “General Discussions”