Giant Sequoias Face Looming Threat from Shifting Climate

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Joe

Giant Sequoias Face Looming Threat from Shifting Climate

Post by Joe » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:52 am

"Giant Sequoias Face Looming Threat from Shifting Climate"

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/giant_sequ ... mate/2631/

(Ed Frank, not sure if this is the best place to post this- so feel free to move it)
Joe

Larry Tucei

Re: Giant Sequoias Face Looming Threat from Shifting Climate

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:54 am

Joe- Wow, I hope this doesn't happen! Many species will be lost if the climate shifts. So since the apes have helped this along well maybe the apes should plant Redwoods in their new environmental locations during and after the shift, along with many other species. I remember Lee Frelich and others posting on this topic in the past. The Boreal Forest is in for the most trouble. Well, I can do my part and start planting northern species of trees in the south. I may have to plant cactus just in case it turns to Desert down here! Hey Joe nature is resilient will not species on their own just shift around like in the past? Larry

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:03 am

Larry,

oh, sure, I suppose- the Earth doesn't care how long it takes to make the adjustments but it may be highly inconvenient for us naked apes- another inconvenient truth

the Earth and life on it will survive for hundeds of millions of years regardless of what we do- I only wish I had a time machine to shoot way into the future to see the changes- I'm sure some will be horrible and some wonderful, as always- yin and yang.

Joe

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:24 am

As I have said before...if any of you want to see this stuff before it's too late, you'd best freaking HURRY! The human race, through its over-consumption and guidance by the corporations who rule over us, has wrecked Mother Earth. There are a few things left and they are going fast. See the big trees, see the glaciers, watch the great animals, walk the wilderness. Soon it will all be gone.

Don

Post by Don » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Joe-
Good article, with citations I'm familiar with and have used in the past (including one of our newest members, Craig Allen!). I think in general their comments are carefully crafted and solid. However, you'll notice that they refer to human observations, naturally measured in hundreds of years, and the "tree observations" which are measured in thousands of years...a difficult concept for most of us to wrap our head around.

For me in studying the ponderosa pine forest ecosystems of the Southwest, an epiphany was that in the first decade after 1900, a series of climate changes occurred in what amounted to a "perfect storm". What I mean to say is that a sequence of ground warming, well-timed and burgeoning moisture events combined to provide excellent seed viability and growth, and was followed by optimum climatic conditions for growth for 7 or 8 decades. For foresters (and others!), that was a good thing

The bad spin on this was that the public, and their servants the USFS, BLM, NPS at the same time began a fire suppression policy (however right-hearted, it was wrong-minded at the time) that furthered the nursery-like conditions, eventually leading to a surge that led to "dog-haired forest regeneration", resulting in unnaturally high stand densities. Worse, the lower canopy of regeneration provided a fuel ladder which allowed the frequent lightning strikes to lead to crown fires, which in the presence of the monsoonal pattern of mid-summer lightning/precipitation (or not) events. This led to increasingly catastrophic fires, that are perhaps further influenced by the current change in climate.

All this to say, it's good to be thinking about what we might do to in some way mitigate changes that are inevitable, but we need to be able to step back and take the long view.

Or to encourage continued comments, hey the redwoods and the bristlecones are millenial specimens, and they HAVE seen the current changes and worse...they are likely (anybody wanta take odds) to pursue another millennia. Or two...
-Don
Just one of many bristlecones exhibiting their own version of 'conservatism'...
Just one of many bristlecones exhibiting their own version of 'conservatism'...
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:40 am

jamesrobertsmith wrote:As I have said before...if any of you want to see this stuff before it's too late, you'd best freaking HURRY! The human race, through its over-consumption and guidance by the corporations who rule over us, has wrecked Mother Earth. There are a few things left and they are going fast. See the big trees, see the glaciers, watch the great animals, walk the wilderness. Soon it will all be gone.
Maybe.

But I think humans can also be a drop in the bucket compared to some of the monumental climate shifts, volcanic clouds and space debris impacts that have happened too.

Food for thought ...

M. D. Vaden of Oregon = http://www.mdvaden.com

200 Pages - Coast Redwoods - http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Portraits & Weddings - http://www.vadenphotography.com

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:45 am

we may very well wreck the planet, along with natural disasters- but, it's cool how the Earth always recovers and creates something new and different- I've been saying for years that I think the porpoises will take over-- :)

Joe

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:56 am

[quote="Joe" I've been saying for years that I think the porpoises will take over-- :)

Joe[/quote]

Not if we get the the little buggers first!!

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:38 am

edfrank wrote:[quote="Joe" I've been saying for years that I think the porpoises will take over-- :)

Joe
Not if we get the the little buggers first!!

.[/quote]

they're so cute- much cuter than most humans, they have my vote....

Rand

Post by Rand » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:42 pm

Well, if they are smart enough that might pull a 'So long, and thanks for all the fish...' moment on us.

Return to “General Discussions”