Newbie tree ID request

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dlrossjr

Newbie tree ID request

Post by dlrossjr » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Newbie tree ID request

I've a tree which seems somewhat common around Durham, NC which I'm trying to identify. The old field guides in my middle school library are just not quite letting me get a handle on it. It looks opposite in branching, so I'm guessing a buckeye of sorts?

I've posted a pic at this website -- its our infant nature trail page.
https://sites.google.com/site/carringto ... to-gallery
Thanks,
Dave Ross
Durham, NC

Porter

Re: Newbie tree ID request

Post by Porter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:17 pm

Princess tree (Paulownia tomentosa)?
Tim Porter

dlrossjr

Post by dlrossjr » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply. Your (Paulownia tomentosa) ID seems spot on. I don't know that I'd of had a chance on that one without help!
At least not via the field guides I'd been trifling with.

This tree seems to pops up in quite a few places around Durham, NC.

Dave Ross

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:54 pm

Dave,

Welcome to NTS. I do hope you will eradicate the princess tree. Nasty weed with no place in a nature preserve.

Will

Porter

Post by Porter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:35 am

I second Will's sentiments about the princess tree. It amazes me that this exotic/invasive still gets promoted as a quality landscape tree. In a recent newsletter treesSC (SC's urban forestry council) profiled this tree and listed it's numerous benefits and uses in the landscape. I couldn't believe it.
Tim Porter

tsharp

Post by tsharp » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:56 am

NTS:
There was about a ten year period in the 1970's & 80's when the Japanese discovered that North America had an unexploited supply of Paulownia and they were willing to pay. Southern West Virginia had plenty, especially along railroad right of ways. This was about the same time that the New River Gorge National River came into existence. Locals discovered the value of Paulownia and it was there just for the taking. And take it they did. Unfortunately for some, the National Park Service had acquired quite a bit of land and the Park Service were put in the unfortunate position of prosecuting this timber theft in the federal court for a species they had active program of eradication.
I do have to admit they put on quite a flower display.
T.Sharp

Return to “General Discussions”