We need to do things like this!

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

We need to do things like this!

Post by edfrank » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:07 pm

76116_543054235715592_1494354890_n.jpg
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Don

Re: We need to do things like this!

Post by Don » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:10 pm

Ed-
Been there and done two of the California ones!
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:04 pm

I was meaning we should try to make composite images like this to promote the Native Tree Society on the web and in the social media.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:58 pm

Ed,

I agree and can come up with some shots.

How about for eastern trees:

Tallest angiosperm (Fork Ridge Tuliptree)
Tallest gymnosperm (Boogerman Pine)
Largest angiosperm (Sag Branch Tuliptree)
Largest gymnosperm (Riddle Loblolly or baldcypress?)
Widest trunk (Middleton Oak?)
Oldest tree (Black River Cypress?)

This list is quick off my head and only currently known trees, not historic.

Will

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:19 pm

I will try to pull something together after some current projects. I want to encourage others to make some examples like these and post them here!!

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:53 pm

Ed,

Each significant site could have one as well, CONG, GRSM, MTSF, CFSP...

Will

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:24 pm

You could even do multiple shots of a single tree. I think this type of graphic is eye catching and could help us get out name out there. We could use them on our website, Facebook page, magazines, or fliers.

Many of you are not big on the Facebook NTS page, but the image posted above was our most popular post yet:
reach.GIF
Unfortunately it was not by us and did not contain out contact information. I had a fairly good response to one recently where I used one of M. D. Vaden's photos with an invitation to like our Facebook Page:
mvd.GIF
If anybody is wondering, we have had an enormous surge in the number of likes we have on the page, partially because of these two posts above.
overview.GIF
We were one of the biggest groups in terms of likes when we were sitting at around 1,500. In the last couple of weeks we have pushed to just under 3,200 likes and should get there soon.

Edward Frank

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:49 pm

trees_reach.jpg
Really it is the result of multiple posts, but this one caused a dramatic jump in people checking out our page and deciding to Like our feed.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:42 pm

Ed, I have been corresponding with the Owners of Oak Alley lately and they sent me a link that I think you and NTS members would be interested in. We could do something similar. I have wanted to do something like this with the Live Oaks.
http://tclf.org/sites/default/files/mic ... index.html

Larry Tucei

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:41 pm

The first week of February 2013
feb2013-1.GIF

Return to “General Discussions”