The world's most biomass-dense forests

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#21)  Re: The world's most biomass-dense forests

Postby DAKennedy » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:14 pm

Just out of curiosity, where were the Sierra Nevada values recorded?  Also, in the Sierra the dominant tree species can vary in just a couple miles.  The county I live in is home to a Ponderosa Pine/Western Juniper/Incense-Cedar system in the eastern part, on the eastern, dryer side of the Yuba Pass, before going up into a Sugar Pine/Incense-Cedar/Lodgepole Pine system above about 5600', on to a Red Fir/Lodgepole Pine/Western White Pine system above 6400' on to a Red Fir/Western Hemlock/Western White Pine system up to the highest elevations at 8600'.  Then down the west side to a Jeffrey Pine/Black Oak/Douglas-Fir system below 4800' to a Black Oak/Western Dogwood/Sugar Pine system at the lowest elevations of 2700'.  The county I live in is pretty darn diverse.
Duncan Kennedy
Student, Feather River College; Environmental Studies dept.
Young Tree Measurer.
http://sierracountybigtrees.wordpress.com/

For this message the author DAKennedy has received Likes :
Will Blozan
DAKennedy

Has Liked: 51 times
Has Been Liked: 64 times
Print view this post

#22)  Re: The world's most biomass-dense forests

Postby KoutaR » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:35 am

Duncan,

I guess you mean Abies magnifica (1208 t/ha, Sierra Nevada). Unfortunately, my source does not tell the exact location. Only "fir forest (Abies magnifica) at high elevations of Sierra Nevada". I calculated the biomass value from stem volume 3180 m3/ha by using wood density 0.38 I found from Wood Density Database (currently not working). More detailed information on the Sierra Nevada biomass densities would be very welcome.

Kouta
KoutaR

Has Liked: 76 times
Has Been Liked: 230 times
Print view this post

#23)  Re: The world's most biomass-dense forests

Postby Josh Kelly » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:43 am

Kouta et al.,

The only comparable study from the Southern Appalachians I know of is from Albright Grove, a well known primary forest site in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.  Researchers found 459 Mg/ha of live tree biomass on a .4 ha plot in 1992.  Their measurements may not have been up to NTS standards, but were probably very thorough for the time.  It would be interesting to resample the plot with state-of-the-art equipment and methodology.

Josh
Attachments
AlbrightGrove.pdf
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 20 times

For this message the author Josh Kelly has received Likes :
Will Blozan
Josh Kelly

Has Liked: 5 times
Has Been Liked: 70 times
Print view this post

#24)  Re: The world's most biomass-dense forests

Postby KoutaR » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:54 pm

Josh,

Thanks for the info and the paper!

Kouta
KoutaR

Print view this post

#25)  Re: The world's most biomass-dense forests

Postby DAKennedy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:58 pm

KoutaR wrote:Duncan,

I guess you mean Abies magnifica (1208 t/ha, Sierra Nevada). Unfortunately, my source does not tell the exact location. Only "fir forest (Abies magnifica) at high elevations of Sierra Nevada". I calculated the biomass value from stem volume 3180 m3/ha by using wood density 0.38 I found from Wood Density Database (currently not working). More detailed information on the Sierra Nevada biomass densities would be very welcome.

Kouta

This page may be helpful.  This RNA is near my house, and is a place I intend to visit.  

http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/programs/rna/g ... ak_rna.pdf

- Duncan
Duncan Kennedy
Student, Feather River College; Environmental Studies dept.
Young Tree Measurer.
http://sierracountybigtrees.wordpress.com/
DAKennedy

Has Liked: 51 times
Has Been Liked: 64 times
Print view this post

#26)  Re: The world's most biomass-dense forests

Postby KoutaR » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:12 pm

Duncan,

Thank you for the paper! Certainly an interesting RNA. However, I did not find anything about wood volumes or biomasses. The paper gives basal areas; basal area has a correlation with wood volume but wood volume cannot be calculated from basal area without other parameters, like tree heights.

Kouta
KoutaR

Print view this post

#27)  Re: The world's most biomass-dense forests

Postby KoutaR » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:14 pm

NTS,

I have been updating the figures in my original post when found something more biomassive. I just found a higher wood volume / biomass value for Europe: 788 t/ha. The site is Cozzo Ferriero Reserve, an almost pure Fagus sylvatica forest at 1700-1750 m a.s.l. in southern Italy. The site has been undisturbed from about 1930. Wood volume of 1383 m3/ha has been reported, though the plot size is only 0.16 ha.

For this message the author KoutaR has received Likes :
AndrewJoslin
KoutaR

Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Discussions