Max. height for northern whitecedar

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

KoutaR

Max. height for northern whitecedar

Post by KoutaR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:48 am

NTS,

How tall is the tallest known northern whitecedar (Thuja occidentalis)?

Kouta

tsharp

Re: Max. height for northern whitecedar

Post by tsharp » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:22 am

Kouta:
86 feet measured by Lee Frelick and Paul Jost in May of 2006. Measured in Porcupine State Forest in Michigan. Information taken from Jess Riddle's Maximum Dimension List. It has not been updated for awhile but I do not remember anyone posting anything taller.
In my home state of West Virginia our Maximum height is 68.2' measured by Allen Waldron, 3/19/2010. Located on a scree slope in Greenbrier County, private property. Since this tree is commonly planted in cemeteries I would not be surprised that some better heights might be found there.
TS

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:49 am

A tree in Grand Traverse, Michigan is supposed to be 113 feet tall.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:50 am

Kouta,

If my memory serves me correctly, Lee, Will, myself, Paul Jost, and maybe others went off road while in the Porkies into an area that had old growth, including some spectacular Northern White Cedar. I believe we got heights to 112 feet, which surprised Lee at the time. I hope I'm correct in these recollections. I've seen nothing in New England that would come close to the Porkies, nor in New York State.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Kouta,

83.5' is the tallest I measured in NY, and the 86' by Lee Frelich and Paul Jost is the highest solid number I've seen.

Jess

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:58 am

I've hit 87.0' at Biltmore Estate in NC, but there is likely a taller speciman there. The max age would be 115 years but it's likely a good bit younger. I got 75.5' and 79' in a relatively young stand at the WNC Arboretum (I'd guess less than 60 years).
Brian

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:52 am

Bob,

I don't recall ever measuring a cedar anywhere near 112'. We didn't even find a hemlock that tall and the cedars were much more subordinate.

Will

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:44 pm

Will,

I have no idea where that memory came from. Obviously, it is incorrect. Please, everyone, forget that I posted it. Given the other measurements we took in the Porkies on that trip, 112 is wholly unrealistic. Ah yes, now I recall, I'd just finished my third cup of Kona coffee when I wrote that post.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

KoutaR

Post by KoutaR » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:51 am

The 113ft-tree Ryan mentioned is on the American Forests web-site:
http://www.americanforests.org/bigtree/ ... entalis-4/
Of course, we don't know the method.

There is a laser-measured 35m = 115ft tall tree in Germany:
http://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/deu/b ... ach/10482/
In German documents the tree is said to be T. occidentalis. To me it does not look like T. plicata and the authorities are probably able to tell apart the two species. However, I have asked some dendrologists if they can identify the tree from the photos and two of them have suggested it could be the hybrid T. occidentalis x plicata. Any opinions?

Kouta

tsharp

Post by tsharp » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:32 am

Kouta: Sure does not appear to be a T. occidentalis. When I see reddish bark I think of false-cypress. Chamaecyparis obtusa. I know on this side of the Atlantic it is commonly misidentified as being a Thuja. I have even found it tagged wrongly in an arboreteum.
TS

Return to “General Discussions”