Least favorite trees

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Re: Least favorite trees

Post by edfrank » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:58 pm

NTS,

I can't really think of any trees I dislike. They all have something interesting in their nature. There are many other plant species I have a strong dislike for as they are invasive encroaching upon natural settings here in the eastern US - Japanese Knotweed, Kudzu vine, Japanese Barberry, etc.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:59 am

Probably ailanthus, because they're invasive, and because they smell like rancid peanut butter!
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

TN_Tree_Man

Post by TN_Tree_Man » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:30 am

I guess that I am with some others on this thread in that I do not have any trees that I simply loath. However, to add to the list, here are my top three (in no particular order of disdain) disliked native species:

1.) Virginia pine (Pinus virginiana)--tend to get tall in this area (quickly 70-80') with small, shallow root systems. In shallow mountain soils, this leads to disaster, specially near power lines and within public spaces such as picnic/campground areas! This species as a pioneering species quickly fills a disturbed site.

2.) Hackberry/Sugarberry (Celtis spp.)--have never been a fan of these trees; seem to be messy with fallen berries and no fall color. Bark features, with "pimples" seem to be the only interesting trait.

3.) Silver maple (Acer saccharinum)/Boxelder (Acer negundo) TIE--both species are similar in that are weak-wooded, grow quickly and no fall color. Good species for instant shade in a sunny spot, but that is about it.

Most of the invasive exotics are on my disliked list. Trees such as: Tree-of-Heaven, Mimosa and Chinaberry come to mind.

Steve Springer
"One can always identify a dogwood tree by it's bark."

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:10 pm

I agree with Ed and Steve I can't say I have a least favorite Tree. Now if you count raking leaves there are several that top the list. Southen Magnolia would be my #1 it sheds leaves all year long. I have 1 Magnolia in my back yard and have to rake the darn leaves at least once a week or everytime I cut the grass. #2 Darlington Oak leaves are hard to rake up, you have to rake the same spot over and over to get them off the ground. Thank goodness they only shed in the Spring, I have 3 in my back yard that are huge. #3 I guess would be Slash Pine, again if you have some in your yard its rake city, they drop needles all year long. Larry

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:36 pm

1. Poison ivy choked tree
2. English ivy choked tree
3. Wisteria choked tree
Patrick

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:41 pm

edfrank wrote:NTS,

I can't really think of any trees I dislike. They all have something interesting in their nature. There are many other plant species I have a strong dislike for as they are invasive encroaching upon natural settings here in the eastern US - Japanese Knotweed, Kudzu vine, Japanese Barberry, etc.

Ed
Is kudzu the same as wisteria?
Patrick

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:22 pm

Steve,

I have had an entirely different experience with Silver Maple than what you seem to have. Most of my familiarity of the tree in the wild is from the Allegheny River Islands Wilderness and nearby areas. It is a large and impressive tree. We have perhaps a dozen over 120 feet tall and girths up to 18+ feet. I guess this is the only place where the trees are that tall. The other thing is that many of the trees are multitrunked or coppices. I tend to admire the resilience of the species in the face of repeated damage from floods and ice chunks as the river thaws. Some of the multitrunk trees were really massive in size. So I like the species.

Click on image to see its original size
Carl Harting and a 18.1 foot girth, 104.3 foot tall silver maple, King Island.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

TN_Tree_Man

Post by TN_Tree_Man » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:49 pm

Larry Tucei wrote:Southen Magnolia would be my #1 it sheds leaves all year long. I have 1 Magnolia in my back yard and have to rake the darn leaves at least once a week or everytime I cut the grass. Larry
Larry,

It has been said that "one does not rake southern magnolia leaves, rather, one picks them up!" Have you left the lower limbs on the tree? You could just leave the fallen leaves around the tree's dripline to serve as a mulch.

Steve Springer
"One can always identify a dogwood tree by it's bark."

Rand

Post by Rand » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:01 pm

Ed,

Silver Maple develops pretty well down here in Ohio too:
silver maple.jpg
Though to be sure, there are plenty of ugly ones along city streets that have been abused by topping and poor clearance between the street and sidewalk.
Last edited by Rand on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:09 pm

NTS,

I see that all of my least favorite native species have been mentioned, so I'm not as unique in my opinions as I'd hoped, but here's my list anyway. Natives: Acer negundo, Acer saccharinum, and, like Will, most ashes. Exotics: Rhamnus cathartica, Morus alba, and Pinus sylvestris. I do recognize the value of each species in its native habitat (yes, even boxelder), but probably would not plant any of the above on my land or that of those I love, and I've been known to exterminate some of these (buckthorn) with extreme prejudice from time to time.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Return to “General Discussions”