Looking back over 2010

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Re: Looking back over 2010

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:12 pm

Bob, Ed, James, Steve, Will, ENTS, Bob thanks for the kind words. I've been enjoying trees for three decades now but only the last few years have I measured them, I really saw no need in doing so. Just being around and amoung them was rewarding enough for me. I joined ENTS back in 06 and the rest is history, the measuring bug just hit me! Learning the different species has been quite a challange. But once I started to read and learn more about Trees, Forests the more I wanted to be with them. I know most of the Southern trees by leaf, needle, bark, cone, acorn, etc. What is fun to me is trying to figure out them when I'm in unfamiliar areas. Some trips for examples that come to mind are the Biltmore Estate, The Smokies, and Congaree was another, fabulous places. Wow did I have a time up there, so many different species. We are so lucky to have such a wide deverse distribution of Trees and members from north to south. I must come up to Cook Forest soon and I'm excited to help with Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest. Also the James Madison Montpelier Project is a great adventure, along with the WNTS gathering in 2011. I wish I had more time to spend doing what I love most! Trees!
What I like most are so many different views about the trees, enviorments, etc. I don't know why most people who enjoy trees won't take it to the measurement level. I'm glad to be an ENT and hope to remain one forever. I look forward to meeting up with everyone in the future. I will continue to add to the Live Oak listing in 2011 and get up to the Ms., delta with some reporting. Good tree hunting! Larry

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:02 pm

Hi All,

I just read this entire thread and it's one of the most captivating that I've seen on the BBS. It all happened during 11 days in December 2010. The thread develops into a discussion on how to attract new members, and the sheer passion of why everyone does what they do was readily apparent. I especially liked the comments that motivation comes from within and the importance and enjoyment of carving out a niche.

I thought it was worth commenting on to bubble it back to the top of the Active List to share with newer members.

Thanks,
Matt

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:38 am

Matt,

Thanks very much for reintroducing the thread. Thanks to you and our other new members, NTS has never been better. Nothing like fresh blood with fresh perspectives and an infusion of energy and passion. I especially liked your mentioned the enjoyment that comes from carving out a new niche. When one of us introduces a new place and takes ownership, revisiting it many times, it becomes alive in a way that I think we all come to appreciate.

Tomorrow, Monica and I are taking a couple of friends on a walk up the small stream flowing behind our house. They are in for a treat.

Robert T. Leverett
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “General Discussions”