Accidental rewilding

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Accidental rewilding

Postby Rand » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:56 pm

I stepped out into the sunlight, scarcely able to believe what I had seen or, rather, what I had not. I stared at the hills around me, contrasting them with the old photos of those same hills I had seen. Where dense forests now grew, forming a high, closed canopy — in the valleys, over the hills and up the mountain walls until they shrank, many thousands of feet above sea level, into a low scrub of pines, which diminished further to a natural treeline — there had been almost nothing. In the photos, taken on the western side of Slovenia during the First World War, the land was almost treeless.

So tall and impressive are the trees now and so thickly do they now cover the hills that when you see the old photos — taken, in ecological terms, such a short time ago — it is almost impossible to believe that you are looking at the same place. I have become so used to seeing the progress of destruction that scanning those images felt like watching a film played backwards.

Tomaž Hartmann had driven for almost an hour along a forest track through Kočevski Rog to bring us here. The woods of beech and silver fir towered over us, in places almost touching across the road. Their roots sprawled over mossy boulders. They rolled down into limestone sinkholes: karstic craters. Karst topography — weathered limestone landscapes of chasms and caves, sinkholes, shafts and pavements — is named after this region of Slovenia, which is sometimes called the Kras or Karst plateau. The word means barren land. When Karst landscapes are grazed, they are rapidly denuded, but it was hard to connect the term with what I now saw.

https://aeon.co/essays/why-humanitarian-disasters-are-good-for-nature?inf_contact_key=9cb922a5086ea23e541c93c60429dc02aaef19ab4afb48f13a58adca78d491e9

For this message the author Rand has received Likes :
jamesrobertsmith
Rand

Has Liked: 255 times
Has Been Liked: 366 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Accidental rewilding

Postby Joe » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:40 am

Aeon is one of my favorite web sites.

Joe
Joe

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Accidental rewilding

Postby jamesrobertsmith » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:49 pm

The extinction of Homo sapiens is going to be a wonderful thing for the planet.
jamesrobertsmith

Has Liked: 500 times
Has Been Liked: 117 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Accidental rewilding

Postby Don » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:22 pm

JamesRobertSmith-
You planning on being around for it?
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park