Growing Ailanthus Indoors?

General Chat about any topic.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

RyanLeClair

Growing Ailanthus Indoors?

Post by RyanLeClair » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:08 pm

Hey all,

A strange mood has swept over me, and all of the sudden I have a keen interest in all things Ailanthus. I would never plant one in my yard, but would one survive indoors? Or does it need the cycle of the seasons to survive?

Should it thrive, I would keep it trimmed like a bonsai.

--Ryan

Will Blozan

Re: Growing Ailanthus Indoors?

Post by Will Blozan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:10 pm

Ryan,

The are temperate and would need a dormant season.They also STINK and would be a horrible addition to an indoor setting unless they could out-stink a nasty dog or something. I cut down two today (YEAH!!!) and feel the world is a better place for it.

But hey, go for it!

Will

Rand

Post by Rand » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Will Blozan wrote:Ryan,

The are temperate and would need a dormant season.They also STINK and would be a horrible addition to an indoor setting unless they could out-stink a nasty dog or something. I cut down two today (YEAH!!!) and feel the world is a better place for it.

But hey, go for it!

Will
and don't feed them after midnight...

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:32 am

They may stink (didn't know that) but I respect them for toughness- ever since I saw one in NYC rooted in the bottom of a storm drain which managed to grow on whatever scum was down there and up through the grating and looking just fine. It's like when I see weeds growing in cracked cement or asphault- I cheer them on! I've contemplated doing a photo essay on such struggles of life to endure.
Joe

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:00 pm

Hey Will,

This gets me interested, maybe I will grow one indoors as well, just to see what kind of stink we are talking about. I remember some stand up comedian describing what he perceived as a difference between men and women. Someone finds some old sweaty gym clothes in a closed container and says "wow those really stink big time". The women respond "please keep it away from me" and the men respond "let me smell it". Will, Possibly you are just expressing your feminine side. I say go for it too Ryan, could be interesting.

Chris

Post by Chris » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:40 pm

The large leaves may make it difficult to create into an attractive bonsai.

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:23 am

I wouldn't want one in my house due to the smell either. I've described the smell as rancid peanut butter. Yuck.
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:15 am

thank you for the input, guys. I think I might try growing it in a pot outdoors. There's no way it can sucker, then. Also, I'll cut off any seed pods it produces.

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:47 am

I like the look of the tree- kinda like a sumac, it might look nice indoors.
Joe

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:51 pm

Yes, Joe, I like it too...I think I'm going to keep it outdoors because, as Will said, it needs a period of dormancy.

Return to “Off-topic - Post About Anything Here”