'Ultra' runner conquers Parkway in just 17 days

General Chat about any topic.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:07 am

Click on image to see its original size
Don Lister poses in front of the Blue Ridge Parkway's highest elevation point during his 574-mile run earlier this month.

By DEAN HENSLEY
Times-News Staff Writer
Published: Monday, August 29, 2011 at 4:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Monday, August 29, 2011 at 12:22 a.m.

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/201 ... ?p=1&tc=pg
On the morning of Aug. 6 at Skyline Drive in Front Royal, Va., 67-year-old Don Lister of Hendersonville set out on what he calls “a journey run.” His 574-mile journey took him the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway and ended in Cherokee in just 17½ days. “A lot of people do these long ‘ultra' runs, but I guess the reason my run is unique is because of my age,” Lister said. “I'm hoping maybe my run will inspire some people. It illustrates that when we get older, we can still be active. We can really accomplish more physically and mentally than we think we can.”
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Re: 'Ultra' runner conquers Parkway in just 17 days

Post by dbhguru » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:55 am

Ed,

I guess driving the 574 miles doesn't count - with frequent stops for blueberry, peach, and cherry cobbler. Just isn't the same, huh?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:31 pm

Bob,

I thought maybe you could take this approach for your next session on the Parkway in preparation for the book.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:45 pm

A buddy of mine recently bicycled the Parkway in 7 days. Running it in 17.5 days is pretty incredible for any age, but at 67, bravo!!!

Don

Post by Don » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:43 pm

Sour grapes aside (I'll never manage such an accomplishment), I think that the article is newsworthy, but also points out what I think is wrong with America's attitude towards recreation. I would be much more likely to laud someone who managed to leisurely walk the same stretch over several seasons/years, all the while taking notice of the sights and sounds, the smells and sensations that they encountered along the way.
The old fart marathoner is quite unlikely to recall much more than a blur of pain for most of the journey...
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Marcboston

Post by Marcboston » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:46 pm

Good post Ed. I find it to be somewhat inspirational. The guy is obviously not a professional athlete and to do it at his age is really impressive. I have read several posts on this site about how many Americans are fat and lazy...... All the power to him.

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:45 am

However...if the only way to access and use the Blue Ridge Parkway was by foot, I'd be all for it. It needs to be ripped up, the preservation corridor widened significantly, and transformed into a decent wilderness with access strictly by leg power only.

Ashe County

Post by Ashe County » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:27 pm

30 years ago I would have agreed. But now the parkway is a ribbon of tranquility,on some days at least, and allows me to access places to hike without passing so much as a stop sign.

Return to “Off-topic - Post About Anything Here”