Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Re: Cathedral Pines Wisconsin

Post by edfrank » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Don, Will,

I loaded the image into Google Images: http://images.google.com/imghp?hl=en

and it matched the photo to this one:

Original Old Growth Forest
The original southwestern Washington State temperate rainforest.
What seems most remarkable is the density of these giant fir trees.
(Photo probably from the very early 1900s, by Vibert Jeffers)
http://www.wildthymefarm.com/forestoldgrowth.html

Does this explanation better match your sensibilities? I really don't have any evidence of one account over the other, although this second one includes a photographer, general location, and time frame.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Will and Don,

Here is the scoop on the photo from Susan Parish of Shadow Catchers and The Susan Parish Collection of Photography:
Hello Ed,

Yes, I am very familiar with this photograph. It is one of my most popular selling images. * I sell prints from negative collections I own. The cropped photo was one I sold to ‘someone’ and they must have put it online.

However, the photographer was not Vibert Jeffers but his father, Joe Jeffers; both photographers from Olympia, WA who owned/operated Jeffers Studio. The photo’s date is about 1910 and it was taken in Mason County, Washington State; which is in the rain shadow region of the great Olympic Peninsula. This area is well known for its tall timber forests. The trees are Douglas Fir. Your friend was correct that it is not a pine forest.

I hope this helps clarify the photograph. Let me know if you need anything further.

You probably should tell the Museum about the improper details on the photo they have been selling. I looked online at their site but couldn’t find the photo there.

Regards,

Susan Parish

Shadow Catchers and
The Susan Parish Collection of Photography
Historical, Modern and Contemporary Photographs
Décor and Licensing since 1978

http://www.shadowcatchers.net
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

DonCBragg

Post by DonCBragg » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:12 pm

Ed & Susan--
Thanks for digging into this...Will was correct to doubt that these were eastern white pines! I wasn't able to find this picture on the Marathon County Historical Society's website, so maybe they've also found out that it wasn't from Wisconsin. Disappointing, but that is how it goes some times! Eastern white pine could grow to this size in Wisconsin, at least some individuals did, but obviously not this group of trees.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:14 pm

Don,

Now at least you have some specific information about the photo you do have.

Ed

Return to “Wisconsin”