Martin Tract

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tsharp

Martin Tract

Post by tsharp » Mon May 21, 2018 8:40 am

NTS:
On 3/15/2018 i visited a private forest tract near Williamstown, West Virginia I had first visited 2/22/ 2010 to verify a Yellow-poplar height reported at 185'. My comments at that time can be found at this link.

http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=1149

The largest trees measured during the current visit included
Tulip-poplar (Lirodendron tulipifera) 18.2' x 136.5' x 77'
Yellow Buckeye (Aesculus flava) 7.3' x 103.3' x 28'
American Beech (Fagus grandifolia) 10.9' x 102.7' x 62'
Shagbark Hickory( Carya ovata) 5.4' x 100.3'
Blackgum(Nyssa sylvatica) 6.0' x 98.7'
Sugar Maple (Acer saccharum) 7.0' x 84.8'
Scarlet Oak (Quercus coccinea' ) 6.5' x 77.6'
Crown spreads are an average of the two-axis method.

The landowner sold standing timber on this sixty acre tract in 2002. The procurement forester for a local sawmill made the initial contact and they soon agreed on price and they signed a contract with the main stipulations that only trees with a 16" or greater diameter could be cut and that skid roads/log landings be seeded after conclusion of logging.
Sixteen years later I walk through the heart of this tract and find that 80 percent of residual stand is Yellow Buckeye and Beech with a good percent of the Beech being culls that were not felled or girdled during the logging operation. Remaining stumps were in the 3-4 ' diameter range and were mostly Red Oak with some White Oak.
Such is the status of "private forestry".

A large Yellow-poplar was felled during the logging operation. It had some butt rot and the top logs splintered when it was felled across a ravine.its close by mate was not felled. It was supposedly at least as large as the one we measured. No stump remained.

18.2' circumference

Click on image to see its original size
Bill Schlier

18'2' x 136.5' x 77'

Click on image to see its original size

dbhguru

Re: Martin Tract

Post by dbhguru » Tue May 22, 2018 5:42 pm

Turner,

Thanks for this report. I had to shake my head reading
Sixteen years later I walk through the heart of this tract and find that 80 percent of residual stand is Yellow Buckeye and Beech with a good percent of the Beech being culls that were not felled or girdled during the logging operation. Remaining stumps were in the 3-4 ' diameter range and were mostly Red Oak with some White Oak. Such is the status of "private forestry".
With respect to your last sentence, the tale is repeated over and over and illustrates the wide gap between theory and practice in the otherwise honorable profession of forestry. Now with biomass-based forest management on the rapid increase, the insults to our forests are growing exponentially.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Martin Tract

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed May 23, 2018 7:32 am

Turner- That is a beautiful Tulip! The trees on your listing are impressive. Looking back at your old posting you really get the results of this type of Forestry. It's to bad that Forests like this are not select cut. Like Bob pointed out it happens time and time again. :( Larry

Return to “West Virginia”