Quincy Hill Park - Parkersburg, WV

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tsharp

Quincy Hill Park - Parkersburg, WV

Post by tsharp » Mon May 12, 2014 5:45 am

NTS: In May of 2013 i had knee replacement surgery and as part of my rehab I took it upon myself to walk some of the city parks and take a tree species inventory. I later came back after leaf fall and took measurements of the largest noted in my walks.
The first site visited is Quincy Park,This park sits on a bluff overlooking the Ohio River. It is locally famous for a tragic water tank failure that took the lives of two people. See the details here:

http://www.electricearl.com/parkersburg ... SciAm.html

The city turned the area into a park after this 1909 disaster. It also has a substantial set of steps with railings which suits my rehab efforts perfectly.
It is a small park of about 12 acres. The flat area is developed with the usual park amenities- shelters, Picnic tables, rest rooms etc. It is also decorated with a 260' tall communication tower, which became less of an eyesore when i found out the amount of money that the city receives in rent.

Click on image to see its original size

The view is looking down river from the overlook. At far left is the confluence of the Little Kanawha River and Ohio River. Centered by the Church Steeple and in the far background is Blennerhasset Island, left of the island is the back channel and to the right(barely visible) is the shipping channel.

Around the margins of the park and adjoining some steeper slopes a few larger trees may be found.
Black Oak Quercus velutina 14.2' x 93' x 108' (max.)
Black Cherry Prunus serotina 11' x 92.3' x 91' (max.)
Red Maple Acer rubrum 10.2' x 89.4' x 34' (max.)
The developed area has mostly planted specimens such as:
SweetgunmLiquidambar stryciflua 10.0' x 81.7' x 66' (max.)
Douglas-fir Psuedotsuga glauca 4,2' x 73.4' x 17' (max.)
Sawtooth Oak Quercus acutissima 4.9' x 51' x 45' (max,)
I tallied 22 species and the complete list can be found on the Trees database at:

http://treesdb.azurewebsites.net/Browse ... 03/Details

Return to “West Virginia”