Yankauer Nature Preserve

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tsharp

Yankauer Nature Preserve

Post by tsharp » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:54 pm

NTS: After a very nice stay and leisurely breakfast at the Bavarian Inn in Shepherdstown, WV, we took of on the morning of 11/19/2014 and wandered around some back roads generally going upriver. We noticed a sign signifying a nature preserve. It turned out to be the Yankauer Nature Preserve which I had heard about via Nature Conservancy literature but never checked out its location in Berkeley County.
It is a 104 acre tract owned by the Nature conservancy and managed by the Potomac Valley Audubon Society. It borders the Potomac River but most of the area is about 200 feet above river level. It is somewhat developed with hiking trails, a parking lot, shelter and an informational kiosk. The tract has a section next to the parking lot which appears to a farm field that reverted to an Eastern Redcedar (Jniperus virginiana) stand. The closed canopy height was about 30-35'. I did measure a couple above that height with the tallest being 40.2'. Also noted were a few small Blackjack Oaks (Quercus marilandica).
After crossing a small ravine one enters a mixed oak-pine stand with occasional areas of exposed limestone bedrock. Trees measured in this section included:
Northern Red Oak (Quercus rubra) 10.3' x 110.1'
Black Oak (Quercus velutina) 8.1' x 100.1'
Scarlet Oak (Quercus coccinea) 7.2' x 86.5'
Black Walnut (Juglans nigra) 5.4' x 81.4'
White Oak (Quercus alba) 8.2' x 75.5'
Eastern Redcedar (Juniperus virginiana) 5.5' x 79.9'
Virginia Pine (Pinus virginiana) 3.5' x 62.1'
The Eastern Redcedar set a new height record for West Virginia beating the old record of 71.7'.
We entered the stand about 3:30 in the after noon so I did not get to measure as many tree species as wanted. Exiting through the cedar glade was in pitch darkness.
Other species noted but not measured included Black Oak, Yellow Oak, Chestnut Oak, Red Maple, Black Gum and Black Cherry

http://www.potomacaudubon.org/YNP.html

Turner Sharp

bbeduhn

Re: Yankauer Nature Preserve

Post by bbeduhn » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:51 am

Turner,
Did you get a pic of the big redcedar? That's fat for a forest grown individual.

tsharp

Re: Yankauer Nature Preserve

Post by tsharp » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:34 pm

Brian: Sorry no pictures. We were in such a hurry to get started on the trail the camera was left behind. There were 5 or 6 impressive Redcedars and I believe I measured the one with the biggest girth and height.
TS

Return to “West Virginia”