2012 spring yellow poplar bud burst

Reports and articles related to the Liriodendron Project being spearheaded by Gary Beluzo.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

russ richardson

2012 spring yellow poplar bud burst

Post by russ richardson » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:51 pm

ENTS:

Today it was just over 90 degrees in parts of central West Virginia and it has been ridiculously hot for several days. It looks like the winterless spring is breaking all sorts of records and the trees and flowers are at least two weeks ahead of what has been established as typical.

Between 1:00 this afternoon and 7:00 tonight the leaves of yellow poplar trees started to open.

I drove down into a remote valley to conduct a forest inventory shortly before 1:00 this afternoon and took time to pause at a vista to look at the blossoming red buds in the valley. The only other noticable color at that time was the flowering red maple trees. During the afternoon black oak leaves started to open. By 6:00 when I climbed back towards the top of the ridge I was noticing a faint green color in the distance. At 7:00 I left the valley by the same road and stopped at the same spot to look at the vista one last time and it was then that I realized the faint green I had noticed an hour earlier was yellow poplar buds and leaves opening.

I have never seen the poplar leaves open so early and I have never actually been in a position where I could actually narrow the event down to such a specific time frame.

Russ Richardson

dbhguru

Re: 2012 spring yellow poplar bud burst

Post by dbhguru » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:39 am

Russ,

Great to hear from you. How have you been? Please tell us what you've been doing during the long absence from hearing from you.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

russ richardson

Post by russ richardson » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:54 am

Bob:

It has been a very challenging time and much more so than I could have ever expected. Since the beginning of the great recession I have seen my income drop by about 85% and I am now one of the last remaining private foresters in central West Virginia. It took me until late 2008 to sell trees I marked for sale in 2005 and 2006. I stopped marking timber in January 2007 and did not mark a single tree in 2008 and 2009. I sold two patches of timber in 2010 and one in 2011. The lack of sales of timber is because of the absence of loggers and sawmills....I turn down two to five opportunities a week to sell timber for property owners and for the time being will only consider timber sales for established clients, with current forestry plans! By the end of last year most of the sawmills I have dealt with in the past were closed and all but one logger I have worked with since 1991 has gone out of business. I have started to jokingly refer to the area where I live as the "triangle of death". Calhoun County where I live is in the center of a triangle, 100 miles on a side (300+ mile perimeter) that is nearly 100% rural, privately owned and mostly forested without a single operating sawmill. In much of the state there are people willing to "cut" your timber but there is a severe shortage of people wanting to pay for the timber. Since 2009 I have seen more timber theft than anytime since I started in the private sector in 1975 and the chances of property owners collecting for damages are lodged firmly between slim and none.

The best loggers have gone to the gas fields and will likely never return to timber. Theives, crooks and drug addicts that no rational person would ever knowingly invite to their property represent an majority of the available logging force in many parts of the state.

I have been very busy working with mechanical control of the highly invasive Japanese stiltgrass, Microstegium vimineum, and I have been given scientific credit for discovering a fungus (Bipolaris) sickening and killing stiltgrass in West Virginia that has spread through the region.

The area where I live is in the middle of an invasion by emerald ash borer and I just completed an ash eradication sale for one of my clients but markets for all wood products are so weak and loggers are so scarce that I expect nearly 100% of the ash killed by EAB in this area will end up as worm food....the lucky ones will get burned for firewood.

I've been a lurker on a lot of the biomass debates in New England and I am appalled at the race to ruin so many vistas in that part of the world with windmills and have to say that when I read of the proposed windmill farm on Mount Massamet in Shelburne the only way I can describe my reaction is incredulous.

I have also been very much involved with the NAPPC (North American Pollinator Protection Campaign) and improvement of pollinator habitat.

My mother sent me a copy of the article on your work at MTSF....excellent.

Russ

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:06 pm

Russ,

Very, very sorry to hear about the rough times. It happens to the wrong people. When good folks are driven out of business and replaced by exploiters and outlaws, it reinforces the worst behaviors in our society.

The wind mill thing in western Mass is disturbing. The problem with these alternative energy initiatives is that they are taken on as cooperate level projects with all the negative implications. Whether it is wind, solar, or biomass, the scale is almost always undertaken at a level that involves large cooperate interests, and becomes exploitive. There is a scale where all three could play a valuable transitional energy role, but of course, we won't take that path.

If you make it back up to see your parent before June 15th or after August 12th, maybe we could connect. I'd really love to remeasure that 145-footer that you took Gary Beluzo and myself to years ago.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

JosephBurgess

Post by JosephBurgess » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:35 am

dbhguru wrote:Russ,

Very, very sorry to hear about the rough times. It happens to the wrong people. When good folks are driven out of business and replaced by exploiters and outlaws, it reinforces the worst behaviors in our society.

The wind mill thing in western Mass is disturbing. The problem with these alternative energy initiatives is that they are taken on as cooperate level projects with all the negative implications. Whether it is wind, solar, or biomass, the scale is almost always undertaken at a level that involves large cooperate interests, and becomes exploitive. There is a scale where all three could play a valuable transitional energy role, but of course, we won't take that path.

If you make it back up to see your parent before June 15th or after August 12th, maybe we could connect. I'd really love to remeasure that 145-footer that you took Gary Beluzo and myself to years ago.

Bob
Using alternative source of renewable energy is bit dificult.. I have got both wind and solar farm and electricity generated is very low.

Return to “Liriodendron Project”