Maymont Park, Richmond VA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Devin

Maymont Park, Richmond VA

Post by Devin » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:33 am

Hello ents,
Over the holidays while visiting family I walked around Maymont Park in Richmond Va. This 100-acre arboretum is one of the pride and joys of the city and is a must see for any tree enthusiast. It was built in 1893 by philanthropist James Dooley and his wife Sally, and after their death was converted into a public garden. Mrs. Dooley was into horticulture and planted over 200 trees from all around the world here. As an unfortunate consequence, this is the epicenter of the Hemlock woolly adelgid, which was introduced into America from a tree here carried over from Asia. To this day the property contains a beautiful mansion, animal farm, nature center, Japanese gardens, and Italian gardens.

More info here:
https://maymont.org/
Attachments
A massive Larix sp.
A massive Larix sp.
Japanese maple reflection
Japanese maple reflection
I dont think American bladdernut gets this big? so I will go with golden rain tree
I dont think American bladdernut gets this big? so I will go with golden rain tree
from front to back, Yoshino cherry, eastern hemlock, dawn redwood
from front to back, Yoshino cherry, eastern hemlock, dawn redwood
Spanish fir (Abies pinsapo)
Spanish fir (Abies pinsapo)
Tulip poplar in fall
Tulip poplar in fall
Tulip poplar in winter
Tulip poplar in winter
Gnarly scholar tree (Sophora japonica)~100 years old
Gnarly scholar tree (Sophora japonica)~100 years old
One of the finest China firs I have ever seen
One of the finest China firs I have ever seen
Incense cedar, apparently state champion, where else does incense cedar grow in Virginia?
Incense cedar, apparently state champion, where else does incense cedar grow in Virginia?
Nordmann fir (Abies nordmanniana)
Nordmann fir (Abies nordmanniana)
Cucumber magnolia, note the iterations on the bottom branch
Cucumber magnolia, note the iterations on the bottom branch
Atlas cedar
Atlas cedar
Japanese gardens
Japanese gardens
American elm R.I.P.
American elm R.I.P.
Xylaria magnoliae
Xylaria magnoliae
Persian ironwood (Parrotia persica) budding out....weird
Persian ironwood (Parrotia persica) budding out....weird

tclikesbigtrees

Re: Maymont Park, Richmond VA

Post by tclikesbigtrees » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:30 pm

I have been to Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond a few times, where there are a lot of huge trees. I have wanted to go to Maymont, but have not gotten there yet.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:33 am

Awesome Trees and your Photograpy really captures the moment. The Winter-Summer shots are great. Reminds me of the trees at Vanderbilt Estate. Larry

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:16 pm

Sophora Japonica may be used for multiple species. The one in this link is a bit different in form. http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f ... =+vineyard

Incense cedar can get quite large in North Carolina, topping 120' in height and 12' cbh. It may grow larger in Virginia as well. That atlas cedar sprawls like a Cedar of Lebanon!

The tree you have listed as dawn redwood looks an awful lot like the larix, which is absolutely enormous! I've never seen a dawn redwood with sprawling branches. The larix I've seen tend to be narrow and tall for the Dunkeld hybrid and compact for other larix ssp. if that is indeed a dawn redwood, do you have any other pictures?

Devin

Post by Devin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:41 pm

Bbeduhn,
Interesting to know about the incense cedar in North Carolina. No other pictures of the dawn redwood. I realize its not the best shot but you can tell from the picture its a d.r. by the rusty-colored male pollen cones. Personally that is what any mature dawn redwood I have seen looks like, a fat base with lots of lateral branching. Maybe because they are usually open grown as an ornamental. Here is another one I took a couple weeks ago in Byrd park, Richmond VA.
Attachments
IMG_2709.jpg

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:50 am

Devin,
This Byrd Park pic is definitely dawn redwood but it looks like no other that I've seen. The branches are very long. The multitrunk structure is unusual for redwoods in the US. This one appears to be from the original seed stock since it has a large base. many of the younger dawn redwoods I see are the narrow, Sheridan spire variation. The ones planted in the 40's, 50's and 60's have larger bases, which can be made narrower by trimming the lower branches. I've seen trios of dawn redwoods grow together to form multiple trunked trees but have not seen them sprout at the base before as this one does. Perhaps, this tends to happen where summers are hotter but that's just a wild guess. The Byrd Park specimen and the Maymont specimen are the widest dawn redwoods I've seen but most of what I've seen are in the Southern Apps. and the Piedmont, just outside of the mountains. The Carolina coast may be too warm for them. VA's coastal region, at least inland seems to suit them just fine.
Brian

Return to “Virginia”