Frozen Head State Park Chimney Top Trail

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Mountain Adam

Frozen Head State Park Chimney Top Trail

Post by Mountain Adam » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:17 pm

NTS,
This is my first field report, so I thought I would share a favorite tree hunting spot that is close to home. Frozen Head State Park is located in Morgan County, TN and consists of 24,000 acres and is home to some of the highest peaks in Tennessee west of the Blue Ridge (14 peaks are greater that 3,000 feet elevation). I took off from work on Monday 10-12-2015 and hiked the Chimney Top Trail at Frozen Head. I measured several nice trees along the way.

Beautiful Fall Day in the Cumberlands
Beautiful Fall Day in the Cumberlands
Mockernut Hickory 8' 4" CBH
Mockernut Hickory 8' 4" CBH
Found a monster Black Cherry that measured 13' 2" CBH (measured below that large growth on the trunk)
Cherry 1.JPG
Cherry 2.JPG
Also found this massive Sugar Maple 12' 9" CBH
Sugar Maple Trunk.JPG
Sugar Maple Crown.JPG
Can you guys help me with the ID of this tree? Is it an Ash? It measured 9' 11" CBH
Ash Bark.JPG
Ash Crown.JPG
Ash Leaves.JPG
Here are some of the notable trees of the hike:

Chestnut Oak 10' 6" CBH
Northern Red Oak 12' CBH
Tuliptree 11'4" CBH
Mockernut Hickory 8'4" CBH
Ash? 9'11" CBH
White Oak 11'6" CBH
Sugar Maple 12'9" CBH
Black Cherry 13' 2" CBH
Tuliptree 13' 11" CBH
Black Cherry 11' CBH
Northern Red Oak 12'4" CBH
Tuliptree 12' 9" CBH

I apologize for only measuring the girth of the trees, but I do not have the tools to measure height yet.

Adam

bbeduhn

Re: Frozen Head State Park Chimney Top Trail

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:10 am

Adam,
That's an area I'd like to explore. It appears there is plenty of old growth. Those cbh numbers are impressive! I'm not certain that it's white ash but it does appear to be so. It doesn't have the classic white ash bark pattern but older trees often lose their classic patterns. Some leaves look like black gum but the bark is way off for black gum, not to mention it'd be a huge specimen. The big cherry and maple are huge! Welcome to the tree hunting team.
Brian

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Adam,

Great trees, great photos. Welcome aboard. That mockernut really caught my eye. We have them here in New England, but not like that. The Cumberlands are pretty amazing. Most folks don't even know they exist. I think the Cumberlands may well be one of the least explored areas for significant trees left for us in the East. We're very pleased to have someone in that area. Welcome aboard.

BTW, Will Blozan, Jess Riddle, and Michael Davie have visited and reported from there several times, and I have once, but we've not scratched the surface.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Mountain Adam

Post by Mountain Adam » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:08 pm

Thanks for the kind feedback!

Brian,
Frozen Head is a great area with miles of well maintained trails, big trees, and lots of solitude. The big Cherry and Sugar Maple had me pretty pumped up! If you should ever be over in this neck of the woods, let me know and we can go tree hunting. I am also fairly close to Big South Fork and the Obed Wild and Scenic River. I was thinking this tree could be a White Ash but didn't think the bark looked right.

Bob,
Thanks for the kind words. I am pleased to be a NTS representative in the Cumberland region. If you would ever like to explore this area, don't hesitate to contact me. I am sure that I could learn a thing or two from you guys.

-Adam

mdavie

Post by mdavie » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:17 am

That's an ash, can't be quite sure what kind but it's probably white

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:08 am

Adam,
We'll try to meet up some time this winter either at Frozen Head or the Smokies. Mike Davie and Will Blozan are also nearby. We'll get you up to speed on measuring heights.
Brian

Mountain Adam

Post by Mountain Adam » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:33 am

Brian,
That sounds like a plan. I hike in the Smokies and Cumberlands often. I recently got a used Suunto PM-5 Clinometer...now I just need to find a Nikon 440.

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:07 pm

Adam,

Welcome to the club! I've done some measuring at Frozen Head, so I can start filling in the heights on another post. Good to hear someone else appreciates the trees in the area though. And from the looks of things, you got into some older forest than I did. I never saw diameters as large as you found.

I"m curious about how you decided on mockerynut over red (or ~pignut) for the hickory. It has the nice sharp ridges that I usually associate with red rather the the smoother bark I normally see on mockernut.

Hope to hear more about the areas you visit soon.

Jess

Return to “Tennessee”