Middleton Oak and Angel Oak

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

eliahd24

Re: Middleton Oak and Angel Oak

Post by eliahd24 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:17 pm

Larry, when measuring limb length, it would be tip to trunk, right? You're not factoring in half of the trunk diameter as well are you?

Brian- if I remember correctly I got that 105' measurement from the parking lot area to the trunk... though I could be mistaken. Do you recall which side of the tree you were on? It's very possible I did not find the longest limb.

Eli

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Eli,
The longest limb is along the road opposite the parking lot. I got several shots of 105', leading me to believe it's actually a bit longer. I'll get the length to the tip from the trunk and the actual length from the tip to where it starts on the tree, easily several feet more than just along the ground.

Larry,
I looked at your limb formulas. Do you have an intest of how long the longest limb is in actual wood? I could follow all of the kinks and see just how much length one of these oaks can put out. It's a little difficult to touch the tree very much. The caretaker is on top of everything. My 2 year old daughter stood on a limb and she was out there in seconds. They've a camera system that they constantly monitor...not that that's a bad thing. It's good to see that they don't allow people to climb at all. Of course, it would be beneficial if they allowed a modeling of the tree.
Brian

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Brian, Wow that is long. Bob made all the limb formulas a few years back. I was curious of the length of the longest limb. Eli, I forgot you measured the limb and yes to the trunk. Larry

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:12 am

Brian- with all of your detailed measurements, I wonder if you could get a rough calculation of the area shaded by the tree? That would be a neat factoid to share with folks.

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:48 am

Eli,
First off, I'm no mathematician and I don't really know how to figure the area of an irregular ellipsoid, but I did take a crack at it anyway. The ellipsoid area appears to be approximately 3/4 of what the area of a rectangle would be, using the maximums as a baseline, or perhaps a bit more. By doing the maximums and estimating I came up with about 19,000 sq. ft. When breaking it all down into averages of all radii, I came up with just under 22,000 sq. ft. I don't know how much merit these guesstimates have but they may be relatively close. It's quite an large area of coverage!
Brian

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:43 am

It's stated that the Angel Oak covers 17,000 square feet. I believe it's a bit more than that. I visited again recently.

The lengths I got were from the Bosch laser. The longest was just 104' to the trunk.

Circ 28'3" same as last year but it's tough to be accurate with throngs of people milling around the trunk. I expected two to three inches of growth.

ht 63.5', up from 62.9' I've seen it published at 66.5'

spread 175' by 176' for a very nice 175.5' avg.
2013a.JPG
2013b.JPG
2013c.JPG
2013d.JPG

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Full disclosure Brian- my laser shoots a little long, per comparisons with both Will Blozan and Jess Riddle's laser's. 104' is probably more accurate than the 106' I got. Next time I'm there, I'll measure it with a tape to see the true length.

~Eli

Return to “South Carolina”