Cutting edge application of remote sensing to conservation

Reports and articles related to remote sensing, LIDAR, GIS, and other mapping applications.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jess Riddle

Cutting edge application of remote sensing to conservation

Post by Jess Riddle » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:34 pm

NTS,

A recent TED talk of Greg Asner discussing conservation applications of cutting edge remote sensing technology left my jaw on the floor. The talk features impressive visualizations from LiDAR and hyperspectral imaging, and includes some unusual applications such as studying lion and elephant behavior. This is work by the same team that Rand posted on a couple of years ago.

http://www.ted.com/talks/greg_asner_eco ... e_air.html

Jess

fungi

Re: Cutting edge application of remote sensing to conservati

Post by fungi » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:56 pm

Incredible! Truly inspirational.

Rand

Post by Rand » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:52 am

They should fly that puppy over NW Ohio and take stock of the destruction caused by the Emerald Ash borer. Just from the ground it's been pretty awful the last 3 years or so.

Josh Kelly

Post by Josh Kelly » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:19 am

Thanks Jess! This inspires me to up my LiDAR processing game!

BTW, are any PA NTS using the LiDAR data from that state?

George Fieo

Post by George Fieo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:12 am

Josh,

I have been having computer issues for some time now and I don"t know how to get LiDAR. I have been posting from my iphone lately. From what I've heard LiDAR is not yet available for southeastern pa. but it's something I'm looking into.

George

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:22 pm

Thanks for the link Jesse. I am familiar with Greg Asners impressive work. He has published many articles about Carbon sequestration, LIDAR and remote sensing data use. He does have a large amount of Lidar data for Peru which would show heights of trees and at some point I am hoping to access it. I plan to go to a new area after finishing my work near Iquitos next fall. It is in the vicinity of the city of Tarapoto which is much different from my mostly flat amazon work area. This new area has serious ravines and foot hills to the Andes Mountains, so I am anticipating a whole different experience in big tree hunting in September or October 2014. Possibly I could talk to you about this Jesse?

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:17 pm

George,

I think LiDAR is available for southeast PA, but it may take a little bit of doing to get it. This page seems to be one of the major portals http://www.pasda.psu.edu/uci/SearchResu ... 3112720480.
You would want the .las files. If you use their data viewer (the little world icon), you can set the display to PAMAP and zoom in on whatever area you're interested in to see which files you need. Then just browse to them in the LAS FTP directory.

You'll definitely want plenty of hard drive space and RAM available before you start though.

Bart,

Tarapoto sounds exciting. I'd be happy to discuss. Just send me a message.

Jess

Return to “Remote Sensing, LIDAR, and GIS”