Woods Hole Canopy Map of the US

Reports and articles related to remote sensing, LIDAR, GIS, and other mapping applications.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Woods Hole Canopy Map of the US

Postby edfrank » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:00 am

WHRC debuts detailed maps of forest canopy height and carbon stock for the conterminous US
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-04/whrc-wdd041511.php

http://www.whrc.org/mapping/nbcd/index.html  Wood's Hole Research Center

The Woods Hole Research Center has released the first hectare-scale maps of canopy height, aboveground biomass, and associated carbon stock for the forests and woodlands of the conterminous United States. The multi-year project, referred to as the National Biomass and Carbon Dataset (NBCD), produced maps of these key forest attributes at an unprecedented spatial resolution of 30 m.        

Caption: This map shows the first high-resolution (ca. hectare scale) map of aboveground live dry biomass and carbon stock for the conterminous United States. Sample postings are 30 meters and are spatially aligned with the National Land Cover Database 2001 published by the United States Geological Survey. The map was produced by integrating ca. year-2000, multi-sensor satellite imagery (Landsat ETM+ and Shuttle Radar Topography Mission data), bio- and geo-physical gradient data (elevation, slope, aspect, canopy density, and land cover), and USDA Forest Service Forest Inventory and Analysis field reference data. Empirical regression models were developed and applied in 66 ecoregional mapping zones. Final map assembly was performed by mosaicking the 66 zone-level biomass maps. The map shown here is accompanied by a map of predicted vegetation height, produced using a similar modeling approach and serving as a key input variable to the production of the biomass map. Aboveground woody carbon stock was estimated as 50 percent of the aboveground biomass predictions.

The Woods Hole Research Center has released the first hectare-scale maps of canopy height, aboveground biomass, and associated carbon stock for the forests and woodlands of the conterminous United States. The multi-year project, referred to as the National Biomass and Carbon Dataset (NBCD), produced maps of these key forest attributes at an unprecedented spatial resolution of 30 m. The digital raster data set is now freely accessible from the WHRC website at www.whrc.org/nbcd.

According to Dr. Josef Kellndorfer, who led the project at WHRC, "We are excited about the completion of this mapping project. The dataset represents a comprehensive assessment of forest structure and carbon stock within the lower 48 States at the beginning of the third millennium, providing an important baseline with which to improve our understanding of the United States forest resources and its link to the terrestrial carbon flux in North America. This dataset will be useful to foresters, wildlife ecologists, resource managers, and scientists alike."

Volker Radeloff, professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Forest and Wildlife Ecology, added, "Vegetation structure data has been the holy grail for biodiversity science: absolutely essential, but unattainable for large areas. The NBCD data set fills this crucial gap and will advance of our understanding of why biodiversity is so much higher in some areas than others, and target biodiversity conservation efforts."
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 864 times
Has Been Liked: 635 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Woods Hole Canopy Map of the US

Postby eliahd24 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:36 pm

This is fascinating and is kinda like a poor man's LIDAR.... at least for Georgia.  It helped me find a gem of a green space in South Atlanta that I'm visiting tomorrow.  Good tall tree potential!!
eliahd24

Has Liked: 191 times
Has Been Liked: 113 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Woods Hole Canopy Map of the US

Postby eliahd24 » Fri May 27, 2011 5:44 pm

Found the only stands of Shagbark Hickory I know of in the metro-Atlanta area.  Biggest was about 8' x 120'
eliahd24

Print view this post

#4)  Re: Woods Hole Canopy Map of the US

Postby Joe » Sat May 28, 2011 5:50 am

eliahd24 wrote:Found the only stands of Shagbark Hickory I know of in the metro-Atlanta area.  Biggest was about 8' x 120'

got any pictures? I like shagbark- never saw any much bigger than 18" DBH. I wonder how shaggy they are when really big and old.
Joe
Joe

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 106 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Woods Hole Canopy Map of the US

Postby eliahd24 » Sat May 28, 2011 5:53 pm

eliahd24

Print view this post

#6)  Re: Woods Hole Canopy Map of the US

Postby eliahd24 » Sat May 28, 2011 5:54 pm

Not all that shaggy around here, though some were shaggier higher up the trunk.
eliahd24

Print view this post

#7)  Re: Woods Hole Canopy Map of the US

Postby Joe » Sat May 28, 2011 6:09 pm

eliahd24 wrote:See if this link works Joe:
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pho ... =1&theater

nope, I'd have to log on but I'm not subscribed to Facebook- I know there's some way around this because a friend has a photo page there and I can see it without logging on
Joe

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 106 times
Print view this post

#8)  Re: Woods Hole Canopy Map of the US

Postby eliahd24 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:30 pm

Here's one that was about 20-22" DBH or so...
Attachments
atlanta shagbark.jpg
Atlanta Shagbark
eliahd24

Print view this post

Return to Remote Sensing, LIDAR, and GIS