Fusion view of LiDAR data

Reports and articles related to remote sensing, LIDAR, GIS, and other mapping applications.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Fusion view of LiDAR data

Postby Steve Galehouse » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:48 pm

ENTS_

A few days ago Michael Davie pm'd me to mention that most of N Ohio had good LiDAR data. I took the time to learn the Fusion program(in a limited fashion), and the results are really intriguing. So far I've used Fusion to confirm earlier site measurements, but the primary utility for me will be to scout new sites before a visit. It's gratifying that so far the measurements produced by Fusion/LiDAR correspond directly with laser measurements I've taken.

Below are two pics--a screen shot of a LiDAR tile, with an area highlighted, bottom left; the second a screen shot of the highlighted area, turned 180 degrees, as viewed in the LDV(LiDAR data viewer). The color scale on the left of the second image shows the tree height, with 166' the tallest, in red. The LDV view can be rotated, enlarged, tilted, etc. to get a better visualization of the forest.

Fusion screen image.JPG

SR lidar image.JPG

Steve
every plant is native somewhere
Steve Galehouse

Has Liked: 162 times
Has Been Liked: 208 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Fusion view of LiDAR data

Postby James Parton » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:39 am

Steve,

This is something I would find of great use. I just do not know how to go about it. I have found LiDAR viewers on the web but I have no idea where or how to get the LiDAR data images.

In ENTS field research I see LiDAR revolutionizing the way we locate trees or groves of trees. I already see it happening. I hope to somehow be able to get in on this new technology.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
James Parton

Has Liked: 338 times
Has Been Liked: 96 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Fusion view of LiDAR data

Postby Joe » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:18 am

What is LiDAR?

(I couldn't send this message oridingally because I hit up against the ultra crucial commandment that a message must be at least 24 characters- I think that's kinda weird)
Joe
Joe

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 106 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Fusion view of LiDAR data

Postby edfrank » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:45 am

Joe,

LIDAR is an acronym for (LIght Detection And Ranging) "is an optical remote sensing technology that measures properties of scattered light to find range and/or other information of a distant target. The prevalent method to determine distance to an object or surface is to use laser pulses. Like the similar radar technology, which uses radio waves, the range to an object is determined by measuring the time delay between transmission of a pulse and detection of the reflected signal."  Think of it as radar only using light instead of microwaves.  

Joe and James,

A detailed overview of the process of using LIDAR was written by Paul Jost and posted to the Google List.  I reposted the articles here: http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=87 There also are instructions on using LIDAR on many of the links Paul provided.

Ed

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 864 times
Has Been Liked: 635 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Fusion view of LiDAR data

Postby James Parton » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:33 pm

Ed,

Thanks for re-posting Paul's LIDAR data. Maybe it will give me the ability to use it to find tall trees in my area.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
James Parton

Has Liked: 338 times
Has Been Liked: 96 times
Print view this post

Return to Remote Sensing, LIDAR, and GIS