edfrank

Recollections of Camping at CFSP in the Early-Mid 1950's

Post by edfrank » Mon May 31, 2010 12:29 pm

ENTS,

Here is another account from the same time period:

Recollections of Camping at Cook Forest State Park in the Early-Mid 1950s
by Timothy Hawley

http://www.cookforest.com/forestfriends ... /index.cfm
[These reminiscences are written over 50 years after the fact, so it should be understood that there are inevitable distortions and imperfect memories embedded in this narrative. It may not be absolutely accurate from a factual point of view, but it is an accurate report of what I remember.]

I grew up in Sandusky, Ohio, the son of a Presbyterian clergyman. The tradition in the 1950s was for clergy to get a full month’s vacation, and my father always chose to use that month to go camping – one of our favored sites was Cook Forest State Park, where we camped for three or four summers in the early- and mid-1950s. I was probably about four years old the first year that we went to Cook Forest.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Re: THE OLD MAN AND ME - Cook Forest Summer Vacation 1952

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:19 am

Ed,

I enjoyed the post. Of course my favorite part was:

"This trail led through one of those stands of old growth pine that Cook Forest was so famous for (I may be conflating this with another trail, however – perhaps it was a different trail that visited the old growth area). I wish that my children and grandchildren could some day experience what it was like to walk in this kind of forest, because there was nothing like it. The huge trees towered high into the sky, creating a canopy that allowed little or no direct sunlight to filter through. As a result, there was very little undergrowth, other than a plethora of gorgeous ferns. The enormity of the trees was overwhelming, and I can only liken the environment to that of being in a cathedral – that’s a bit of a cliché, but it is nevertheless absolutely apropos. It was quiet, dim, and magnificent. When we arrived for the final year that we camped at Cook Forest, in 1956, a huge storm had roared through just weeks earlier, knocking down many of these stupendous old trees, leaving gashes in the canopy that allowed the sunlight to stream through to the ground far below. We were deeply saddened by the loss of the formerly pristine forest, with the trunks of trees that had been there for centuries now lying across the path."

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “PA - Cook Forest SP”