The Mantel Hs Passed

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

The Mantel Hs Passed

Post by edfrank » Sun May 13, 2018 8:19 pm

This news came to us from Dale Luthringer last Friday - May 11, 2018:
Guys,

It is with great regret that I must inform you that both the Longfellow Pine and Seneca Pine have both succumbed to a microburst on Friday, 5/4/18.

A fast moving microburst came through the area early Friday evening with winds reported near 70mph. Firsthand accounts state the duration of severe heavy wind in the park was likely a mere 5 minutes. I was in Erie at the time, watching it move quickly through the Cook Forest area on radar. We also had heavy winds for a short duration in Erie, but I’d suggest only experiencing gusts to ~45-55mph. Spoke to a park patron on the trails on Monday who was from Toronto where his high rise work building experienced winds in the 120km/hr range resulting in several windows being blown out.

Many tall pines are down, and to conduct a complete assessment will take time, but a preliminary brief cruise of trails in the heart of the Cathedral’ note mostly all recently felled trees suffered trunk failures, with most trunk failures being at the 40-60ft height range. There are still two tall upper 160ft class pines standing near where the Longfellow was that I haven’t measured in close to 10 years. Maybe one of them might make 170. The Burl King (~11 x ~160), located a stone’s throw NW of the Longfellow appears to have come down in either one of last year’s May 2017 microburst events.

The Cornstalk Pine (~14 x ~135) adjacent to the Seneca Pine is still standing, but appears to have lost some of its crown. I’m hoping the Cook Pine (~12 x ~165) is still standing.

So as it stands, the current tallest pine in Cook Forest and PA is one between the Seneca & Mohawk Trail last measured at 9.6 x 170.5 several years ago. The current stats I have for the PA state champ would have to reside at Hearts Content with the Hearts Content Pine, last measured at 12.9ft CBH x 160.5ft high. I will be measuring the Hearts Content Pine in a couple weeks due to programming being held their soon. It’ll take me some time to see the Cook Pine to check on its current status.

We are looking at getting cross sections for both the Longfellow and Seneca Pine. The Longfellow’s cross section will have to be taken at over 60ft up from its base, but the Seneca’s should prove more fruitfull with a cross section that should come from the 20-25ft height range.

At their greatest dimensions, the best I’ve been able to do for both trees were:

Longfellow Pine 11.2ft CBH x 184.7ft high
Seneca Pine 12.6ft CBH x 174.1ft high

Both the Longfellow and Seneca have been in decline for years. The Longfellow was still putting on height, but close to 20% of its bark circumference rotted near the base. The Seneca Pine was in much worse shape with thinning crown and near 50% of its bark circumference rotted near the base.

Even in death these massive trees tell a story and serve a purpose, still it is sad to see these monarchs pass into the next stage of the forest cycle. Nothing or no one lives forever. Something we all need to be reminded of from time to time.

The mantel for tallest tree in the Northeast, now passes to Cook Forest’s sister, the Mohawk Trail State Forest.

Dale
I visited Cook Forest on Friday and shot some video with my iPhone, and returned on Saturday and shot some more stills and video. If you are on Facebook the album is here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 957&type=3
Longfellow Pine
Longfellow Pine
Longfellow pine fallen trunk
Longfellow pine fallen trunk
Seneca Pine
Seneca Pine
Seneca Pine fallen trunk
Seneca Pine fallen trunk
Cornstalk Pine
Cornstalk Pine
Intersection of Longfellow Trail and Indian Trail
Intersection of Longfellow Trail and Indian Trail
Edward Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

ElijahW

Re: The Mantel Hs Passed

Post by ElijahW » Mon May 14, 2018 4:27 pm

This is sad news, Ed. I don’t think I saw the Seneca Pine when I visited about ten years ago, but Longfellow I do remember. It was a very impressive tree.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

JHarkness

Post by JHarkness » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:26 pm

Very sad indeed. The week of the microburst I was thinking of paying Cook Forest a visit to see the Longfellow and Seneca Pines. The same storm, or at least part of it, hit eastern New York the next day, lots of downed trees in the area, a ten mile long swath of microburst damage, multiple tornadoes, just a very bad storm. It's always very sad to see old tree friends come down, but at least they still have a very important role to play as they decay.
"Be not simply good; be good for something." Henry David Thoreau

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:21 pm

edfrank wrote:This news came to us from Dale Luthringer last Friday - May 11, 2018:
So as it stands, the current tallest pine in Cook Forest and PA is one between the Seneca & Mohawk Trail last measured at 9.6 x 170.5 several years ago. The current stats I have for the PA state champ would have to reside at Hearts Content with the Hearts Content Pine, last measured at 12.9ft CBH x 160.5ft high. I will be measuring the Hearts Content Pine in a couple weeks due to programming being held there soon.

Dale

I'll let Dale elaborate on what was found today with the Hearts Content Pine, but here are a few photos from today's outing to Hearts Content:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/FriendsofAl ... 6544321843

The occasion was a field trip with the Warren Forest Higher Education Wilderness Camp group. This is the first year I have had the kids to Hearts Content. Dale was our tour guide and provided the kids with the basics of tree measuring.
heartscontent62618g.jpg
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:35 am

By the way, as it happens the Forecon people were there treating the old-growth hemlock trees at Hearts Content for HWA. Just a coincidence that our field trip was scheduled the same day.
heartscontent62618a.jpg
heartscontent62618f.jpg
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

Return to “PA - Cook Forest SP”