Cook Forest Dogwood, Forest County, PA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Cook Forest Dogwood, Forest County, PA

Post by edfrank » Tue May 11, 2010 2:29 pm

ENTS,

I made a short trip to Cook Forest to check on the malfunctionng computer at their Log Cabin Inn. While there I drove the short loop to the Fire Tower parking lot to see the large flowing dogwood (Cornus florida) growing in the strip between the parking lot and the parking area. It is not the largest in the state, but is the largest I have seen in this region. It stands 38.7ft high and is 1.8 feet in girth. Here are some photos of the tree in full flower.

Photographs take May 10, 2010.
Flowering Dogwood (Cornus florida) at 1.8ft CBH x 38.7ft high
Flowering Dogwood (Cornus florida) at 1.8ft CBH x 38.7ft high
Close up of leaves and flowers
Close up of leaves and flowers
Dogwood bark
Dogwood bark
Ed

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Re: Cook Forest Dogwood

Post by James Parton » Tue May 11, 2010 11:20 pm

ENTS,

What is the tallest known Dogwood?

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed May 12, 2010 6:55 am

Ed,

That is quite a dogwood. The ones I see here in western Mass are wimpy. It is appropriate that we should have a worthy specimen of the guardian of the forest somewhere in the Northeast. Yep, dogwood, guardian of the forest, but its bark is worse than its bite (just had to get that one in).

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed May 12, 2010 8:13 am

James, Bob,

The tallest on the ENTS list is a 53 foot tall one, 38 inches in grith reported by Scott Wade from Lorimer Park in eastern PA. Jess Riddle reported a couple 51.3 and 52 feet tall respectively from Mingus Creek in NC. Still I think this is an impressive dogwood.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

djluthringer

Post by djluthringer » Sun May 16, 2010 4:16 pm

Ed,

I'm glad you found this tree. I thought the park staff cut it down a couple of years ago. If you saw it recently, then I obviously mistook it for another tree...

Dale

Return to “PA - Cook Forest SP”