PA Cook Forest Hike

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

PA Cook Forest Hike

Post by edfrank » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:05 pm

NTS,

I managed to get pout into the woods yesterday, for the first time in I don’t know how long. The people at Gateway Lodge had called a few weeks ago about me again leading a hike for some of their guests through the Forest Cathedral area of Cook Forest. I agreed. It is a short trip and they pay, so…
Dale had led a hike for another group from the Lodge on Saturday and he reported the trail to the Forest Cathedral was extremely icy and he had to abandon his hike there and took people along Tom’s Run instead. I naturally did not listen to him.

I arrived early and hiked a short distance up the trail before the guests arrive. Indeed it was very icy and difficult to traverse. It was cold, about 20F and windy. About 8:30 two people rolled up in a car and parked beside me. It turned out these would be the only two people who showed for the hike. They were two gung-ho women who wanted to see the Forest Cathedral area – so that is where we went. We cut up through the woods by-passing the beginning of the trail and joined it after the Memorial Fountain. The first part was covered with a slick sheet of ice up to 6 inches thick. We were able to walk along the edge where the ice was absent or penetrated by leaves, sticks, and leaves.

I gave them the spiel about old growth forest. I talked about the hemlock wooly Adelgid. I talked about the tall pines and hemlock in the park. We did the loop – Longfellow Trail – Red Eft Trail – Tom’s Run Trail back to the Log Cabin Inn. I showed them the Longfellow Pine after they failed to pick it out. I showed them the fallen Cucumber tree with 436 growth rings. There were a few fallen trees across the trail we had to scramble over – formerly standing deadwood. Overall everything went well.

Edward Forrest Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Bart Bouricius

Re: PA Cook Forest Hike

Post by Bart Bouricius » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:27 pm

Thanks for the post Ed,

I guess it was too cold and icy to carry a camera huh? Apparently we chose the right winter to relocate to a warmer place. At least spring is around the corner.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:36 pm

Bart,

I always carry a camera, but did not take any photos on the hike with it. I shot quite a few for the two guests on their cell phone cameras, but did not hink to shoot any myself.

I have this little camera I carry in my pocket:
xp50.jpg
xp50.jpg (13.36 KiB) Viewed 841 times
14MP CMOS still images
High Quality Fujinon 5x Optical Zoom Lens
4-Proof Protection: Waterproof 16.5', Shockproof 5', Freezeproof 14, Dustproof
Full 1080 HD Movies
Micro HDMI
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:26 pm

Ed,

Good job. Showing people these great places is an important mission of NTS. So very, very few forest interpreters know what we know in terms of the statistics of a site and individual trees. Glad you could get out.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:52 pm

That looks like a good camera to take on hikes and backpacking trips Ed. Can I ask how much it cost?

Thanks!
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:21 pm

I bought it for $99 as it was on clearance at Staples. It is still around in some places - a slightly better model is the Fujifilm finepix xp60. Google shows places selling it for as low as $115, but generally available at about $150 at Sears, Best Buy, etc.

Ed

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:08 pm

Ok thanks. Have you been satisfied with the picture quality and video quality?
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:44 pm

I have not had it very long. The quality is fine in what I have done so far. The strength is in its small size and that it is waterproof. Another plus is that it has removable rechargeable batteries rather than an internal battery that can only be recharged by plugging the camera into a socket. So you can carry spare power in your pocket.

Return to “PA - Cook Forest SP”