White Pine Crowns, Cook Forest SP, PA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

White Pine Crowns, Cook Forest SP, PA

Post by edfrank » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:54 pm

Yesterday, March 17, 2013 I led a group on a hike through the Forest Cathedral Area of Cook Forest State Park. I paused before the hike to take a few shots of the old growth white pine crowns on the hillside above the Clarion River and above the Seneca Trail. The broken and gnarled nature of the crowns of these trees sticking up in the weather for hundreds of years is very impressive.
DSCN3911a.JPG
DSCN3914a.JPG
DSCN3918a.JPG
A final shot along the Ancient Forest Trail.
DSCN3931a.JPG
The park was beautiful with fresh snow hanging on the hemlock branches. It is sad to think how the park will change with the coming of the hemlock wooly adelgid over the next few years. I was leading a good sized group on a hike, and afterward was pressed for time afterward, so I did not get a chance to do the photography I would have liked. These really are color photos.

Edward Forrest Frank

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

bbeduhn

Re: White Pine Crowns, Cook Forest SP, PA

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:00 pm

Ed,
Those pines look fantastic in the snow! You have some very nice reiteration shots against the pale sky. The pictures look black and white...or green and white. Hopefully, the adelgid won't have as much success in colder climes. At least the big hemlocks can be treated immediately, so they'll have a fighting chance.
Brian

AndrewJoslin

Re: White Pine Crowns, Cook Forest SP, PA

Post by AndrewJoslin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:02 am

Great photos and subject Ed! To me the weathered white pine crown is the signature woods landscape element in New England and well worth exploring as a photographic and aesthetic subject. Served well with the black and white look.
-AJ

Return to “PA - Cook Forest SP”