Plans to re-measuring the Longfellow Pine

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Plans to re-measuring the Longfellow Pine

Post by dbhguru » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:23 am

NTS,

On Nov 29th and 30th, Monica and I plan to be in Cook Forest, PA. We'll be staying in cabin #5 in the Indian Cabins section behind the headquarters. My specific objective is to re-measure the Longfellow pine using all my latest gadgets and techniques. Since Longfellow is reputedly the tallest tree in the Northeast, it deserves extra attention - our best shot. I cordially invite any and all lady and fellow Ents to join Monica and me. Ed, I'm hoping you'll be able to join us, since you live close by, and film the event. Unfortunately, Dale will be unable to join us. Bummer. He'll be in Erie, PA.

Steve, it would be super if you and/or Rand could come over. I could demonstrate the EBM along with some of the high tech equipment Michael Taylor sent me. With help from others, we could model Longfellow for volume. Equipment I plan to bring includes (hold on to your hat):

TruPulse 360
Nikon Prostaff 440
Nikon Forestry 550
Bosch GLR825
SlopeView TLL-90 (Dual Axis Digital Protractor)
Macroscope 25
Macroscope 45
100-foot tape
200-foot tape
2 D-Tapes (English and Metric)
Hagloff 36" calipers
10 X 40 power Barska telescope
Garmin Oregon 450T GPS Receiver
iPhone 4 with MYSOFT BASIC language interpreter
CASIO fx-115 ES scientific calculator
MAC laptop computer with Excel spreadsheets set to go
3 tripods

If this doesn't give us the necessary measuring and computing power, we're in deep trouble. I confess there is some theatrics to this planned event, but Longfellow deserves the fuss. IMHO, we should make special efforts to measure the most outstanding of our trees to the highest levels of accuracy that we can achieve.

For those who are unaware, we have been measuring the Longfellow pine since June of 1997, when the tree was discovered by Jack Sobon at the old growth conference. Will and BVP were present. The pine was then 179 feet and an inch tall. It grows on a steep slope, so measuring Longfellow has always been a challenge, but despite its advanced age, it continues putting on height. I expect that Longfellow is hovering around 185 feet.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Rand

Re: Plans to re-measuring the Longfellow Pine

Post by Rand » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:07 am

In other news, we are about to discover if it is possible to give a tree a sunburn with a laser range finder.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Bob, Wow! That is quite a list of gadgets. The Longfellow Pine almost proves that White Pines did reach the 200' mark. I have no doubt that the Whites of old were 200'+ tall throughout New England and the Midwest. I wish I could join you I would learn alot. Can't wait to see the results. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Larry,

I don't doubt that a few did. There must have been many sites with pines in the class of those at Cook Forest.

It would be great if you could come up, but I realize that would be a very long drive. Hopefully, a few Ents will make it. Longfellow is calling.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:09 pm

Bob-

I'd love to be there to remeasure, but the likelihood isn't that great---which day would you be doing the measurement? I would have to get there and return the same day, about a 3 1/2 hour drive from home to Cook Forest. I'll try to make it, but can't confirm at this point.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:55 pm

Steve,

Measurement of Longfellow would be on November 30th. Really hope you can make it.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:36 pm

NTS,

I regret to say that Monica and I are pulling the plug on the trip to Cook Forest tomorrow. We've been following the weather and it is not going to be pleasant. Trying to measure in rain and/or snow just won't work. We'll plan to make it to Cook in the spring when conditions are more favorable and the daylight longer. I apologize if this disrupts plans for any one.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Thu May 19, 2016 9:14 am

What the most recent official height measurement for this tree? And how does it rank with all eastern trees, including the southern states? I got a ball park measurement of about 182' with a 134"CBH. I eyeballed the mid-slope at eyelevel at 181.4' and had a separate downslope measurement of 182.2'. This was the first time I measured trees at Cook. Nice to be able to verify trees for a change.

Return to “PA - Cook Forest SP”