Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Postby M.W.Taylor » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:20 pm

I just processed the point cloud from recent pictures taken by Ascending the Giant and Terry Asker. From 37 images I get a good lower bole point cloud included the sign. When you look down the  barrel you can clearly see LaPine was two trees that fused a long time ago. This cross-section has the classic "heart shaped lobes". Just like Drury Tree. See attached JPG images of Meshlab point cloud. You can download meshlab at    http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

This is the best open source and free 3D graphic view by far that I know about.

Michael Taylor

WNTS VP
http://www.landmarktrees.net
American Forests Big Trees Coordinator For California
Attachments
lapine_0.ply
la pine meshlab. Need to download meshlab to view this
(584.42 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
lapine2.jpg
trunk side view point cloud with sign
lapine1.jpg
lapine giant looking down bole with Meshlab

For this message the author M.W.Taylor has received Likes - 3:
Devin, Jess Riddle, mdavie
M.W.Taylor

Has Liked: 12 times
Has Been Liked: 197 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine

Postby edfrank » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:07 pm

Michael,

Pretty cool.  Is the ply file attached the same as the one you have in your display?  The side view doesn't seem to look the same on my screen - the upper portion of the trunk is absent or different in my image.

I see the two heart-like shapes at the upper end of the trunk, but as I zoom down the cross-section seems circular.  You have been looking at these longer than I have and I haven't seen the tree itself. Does the tree split farther up into two trunks?  How would you distinguish something that was two fused trees versus one that splits based on the mesh cross-section?

Ed

trunk cross-section.JPG

trunk cross-section.JPG (31.11 KiB) Viewed 1419 times

trunk from bottom.JPG

trunk from bottom.JPG (33.87 KiB) Viewed 1419 times

trunk side-view.JPG

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

For this message the author edfrank has received Likes :
Jess Riddle
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 867 times
Has Been Liked: 637 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine

Postby M.W.Taylor » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:02 am

Hey Ed,

Your pixel size is too large. Try under "Tools" menu, "options", then scroll down the list until you see "Appearance/Point Size". Select 2 for size. This will make the dense point clouds look more realistic and not blocky. You can also change your screen background color here.

Michael Taylor

edfrank wrote:Michael,

Pretty cool.  Is the ply file attached the same as the one you have in your display?  The side view doesn't seem to look the same on my screen - the upper portion of the trunk is absent or different in my image.

I see the two heart-like shapes at the upper end of the trunk, but as I zoom down the cross-section seems circular.  You have been looking at these longer than I have and I haven't seen the tree itself. Does the tree split farther up into two trunks?  How would you distinguish something that was two fused trees versus one that splits based on the mesh cross-section?

Ed

trunk cross-section.JPG

trunk from bottom.JPG

trunk side-view.JPG

M.W.Taylor

Print view this post

#4)  Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Postby Rand » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Here's an overall picture I took while visiting in 2010.  Big tree.

lapine-2 001.jpg

Is this the group you were with Michael?

Brian French has spent much of his life with his head in the clouds and his feet in the trees.

The president of the Portland nonprofit Ascending the Giants travels across Oregon climbing the state’s largest trees to measure, photograph and raise awareness about their unique ecosystems.

Two weeks ago, French and a team of climbers used ropes and harnesses to ascend a ponderosa pine known as the “La Pine Giant” and “Big Red” to get its official measurements.

The tree, which is in La Pine State Park along the Deschutes River, was found to be 167.7 feet tall, 347 inches in circumference and with a quarter crown spread of 17 feet.

The total score of 532 should be enough to make the tree a champion on the National Register of Big Trees — published biennially by Washington, D.C., nonprofit American Forests since 1940 — when the newest edition is released April 26.

lapine.jpg

lapine.jpg (72.67 KiB) Viewed 1262 times

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20130314/OUTDOORS/303140004/Group-scales-ponderosa-pine-get-its-measurements
Rand

Has Liked: 142 times
Has Been Liked: 236 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Postby M.W.Taylor » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:22 am

Hey Rand,

I was not there during the climb and picture taking. They just sent me the photo-bundle and I used photosynth to extract the point cloud.  I plan to visit the tree for the first time later this year. I'll get more pictures for photosynthing if the weather is decent.

Michael

Rand wrote:Here's an overall picture I took while visiting in 2010.  Big tree.
lapine-2 001.jpg

Is this the group you were with Michael?

Brian French has spent much of his life with his head in the clouds and his feet in the trees.

The president of the Portland nonprofit Ascending the Giants travels across Oregon climbing the state’s largest trees to measure, photograph and raise awareness about their unique ecosystems.

Two weeks ago, French and a team of climbers used ropes and harnesses to ascend a ponderosa pine known as the “La Pine Giant” and “Big Red” to get its official measurements.

The tree, which is in La Pine State Park along the Deschutes River, was found to be 167.7 feet tall, 347 inches in circumference and with a quarter crown spread of 17 feet.

The total score of 532 should be enough to make the tree a champion on the National Register of Big Trees — published biennially by Washington, D.C., nonprofit American Forests since 1940 — when the newest edition is released April 26.

lapine.jpg

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20130314/OUTDOORS/303140004/Group-scales-ponderosa-pine-get-its-measurements
M.W.Taylor

Print view this post

#6)  Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Postby Don » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:14 am

Michael-
So the LaPine Giant is a fused twin that unfuses in the photo where the two climbers are?
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 9 times
Has Been Liked: 122 times
Print view this post

#7)  Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Postby mdvaden » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:07 am

Don wrote:Michael-
So the LaPine Giant is a fused twin that unfuses in the photo where the two climbers are?
-Don

That's a codominant leader up there.

To "unfuse" would probably require an actual splitting during a storm that ripped apart a potential fuse.

The base of that pine looks like a single tree.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Tons of Redwood stuff ... Use the bottom menu at: http://www.mdvaden.com
mdvaden

Has Liked: 5 times
Has Been Liked: 98 times
Print view this post

#8)  Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Postby Don » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:08 pm

Mario-
If you go back up to the top and read Michael's post, he suggests that the LaPine "...was two trees that fused a long time ago.", and provides a LaPine cloud-mapped image that suggests as Michael says "...heart shaped lobes..."
Having said that, it was only after rereading Michael's post that I caught up with what he was saying...looking at the mid-section image with two climbers, it would be very easy (good bar bet picture!) to say it was "...a co-dominant leader..."   I've a number of images I could gather on request that show fused trees "unfusing" without violent events involved...
-Don

M.W.Taylor wrote:I just processed the point cloud from recent pictures taken by Ascending the Giant and Terry Asker. From 37 images I get a good lower bole point cloud included the sign. When you look down the  barrel you can clearly see LaPine was two trees that fused a long time ago. This cross-section has the classic "heart shaped lobes". Just like Drury Tree. See attached JPG images of Meshlab point cloud. You can download meshlab at    http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

This is the best open source and free 3D graphic view by far that I know about.

Michael Taylor

WNTS VP
http://www.landmarktrees.net
American Forests Big Trees Coordinator For California
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don